PDA

View Full Version : A little cheaper model, please?

msmimi
10-13-2007, 11:30 AM
I've built two computers before, made plenty mistakes, but learned a lot. Now, my old one is 5 yrs and needs replacing. I'm 71 years old, female, self-taught (still learning) and my needs are minimal. I surf the net, do a little repair work for others, keep up with my email.

My system now x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 Authentic AMD ~1830 Mhz with 256 mg ram.

I intend to buy my parts one or two a month as I can afford them, but can get it done sooner if I don't buy too expensive. Since I don't game or overclock, can someone tell me about compatible parts that are mid-line priced or even the cheapest yet still worthy? I will print it out and it will become my new wishlist for Christmas, etc.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

ms.mimi

Jamie Nixx
10-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Whats your budget?

msmimi
10-13-2007, 12:08 PM
I'll pay what I have to in order to have a decent computer; it will just take me longer. In order to try to give you a responsive answer, I don't want the very cheapest.

Thanks for your time.

Jamie Nixx
10-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Well that narrows it down a bit lol :D

I price computers for people on this website regularly, and i give the best performance to cost ratio, well in my opinion i do anyway :D

I don't mind pricing a decent computer for you if you want.

msmimi
10-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I would appreciate anything you might do! My fear if I do it without help is that I'll put together things that don't "jell".

As to budget, I can't buy a Suburban:( but a nice little SUV might be saved for:o

msmimi
10-13-2007, 12:37 PM
By the way, I already have the hard drive (gift from my son). It is a 300 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, so anything I get would have to be compatible. This is the only part I already have unless I take my ram (256) from this old computer. I imagine I will buy at least an additional gig.

Jamie Nixx
10-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Soz should have got this done, forgot :o

Right, this computer i am pricing should be sufficient for the needs you described, its not the Rolls Royce of builds (i usually price gaming computers)but i have built a few of these for friends, even my teacher at school lol :D and the feedback has been great.

To start with the CPU, Intel core 2 duo's are expensive, and mostly only used in high end systems, so i chose an AMD sempron, very good little CPU, fast, energy efficient and runs cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819104005

Motherboard, i decided to go for a motherboard with an Intergrated GPU chipset, which means you don't require a Graphics card, but its the latest chipset so it will be good, this motherboard also supports DDR2 800 memory which is very fast. Excellent brand as well, plus it has the latest expnsion slot (PCI E X16) so should you want to pt a graphics card in later you can :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128065

Ram wise, i have chosen Wintec ampo, it is excellent Ram, lifetime warranty as well, its only 1GB, but th 2GB kit isn't much more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161067

The case is all down to budget and preference, so you should be able to pick that out yourself, for a system like this the generic PSU that comes with some cases should be fine, if you bought a seperate PSU and case it would be very expensive.

Same applies for the optical drive, i do not know if you require a CD Rom, DVD Rom ect.

For the mobo, ram and CPU it comes to $153.97, if you add a decent enough case and an optical DVD drive your looking at maybe $60 on top.

Very good computer, upto date and should last a long time.

Hope this helps :)

msmimi
10-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Jamie---I'm so excited. What you've suggested sounds like exactly what I want and now I don't have to be concerned that something will end up being incompatible with something else. I should be able to purchase these items fairly quickly and will get back to you when I'm finished and let you know how it went and other details. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me a hand.

Ms.Mimi

Jamie Nixx
10-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Its no problem, i am glad i could help :)