PDA

View Full Version : Beklin mafunctioning

zzzzzomg
10-13-2007, 03:51 AM
I brought a beklin router at costco for 99 bucks. Then got home and started to use it, at first it was great, better then the linksys G one we had which broke off alot, then after a day, it stop working. I had to restart it, I thought it was a tempary problem and i was wrong. lol. It happens now every few days and i need to restart it or unplug everythng. Is it suppose to happen or did I get a broken one?

The Wise Monkey
10-13-2007, 11:41 AM
What exactly is the problem? Do you lose internet connectivity? Or does the connection between the router and the PC fail?

I have a Belkin router at home, and it is excellent - they are a very good brand.

zzzzzomg
10-13-2007, 04:36 PM
There is no problem with the base computer connected to the router, just the wireless, it connect localy but not to the internet

The Wise Monkey
10-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Ok, does the router say that there is a connection to the internet?

zzzzzomg
10-14-2007, 03:19 AM
yep, internet on base comp but not comp connected wirelessly

The Wise Monkey
10-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Ok, so it is the wireless that is the problem.

Try giving the computer with the wireless a static IP address. Get the details for the Belkin router from your current IP configuration, and assign a static IP such as 192.168.2.15, or something like that.

IIRC, the Belkin router defaults to 192.168.2.1, so you should input that for your default gateway and DNS server.

zzzzzomg
10-14-2007, 05:24 AM
uh.. u lost me, I use shaw, so u press on Wan > conecction type and choose static?

The Wise Monkey
10-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Whats shaw? :S

What OS are you using? If its XP, double click on the wireless icon in the bottom right to get the status screen, then click on the Properties button.

In this new window, select Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) from the list on the left hand side - you may need to scroll down. Once this is selected, click the Properties.

You should see a screen that looks like this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/TheWiseMonkey/ip.png

Check the 'Use the following IP' box and fill in the text boxes. Use something like 192.168.2.10 for the IP address, the subnet mask should be filled in automatically when you click it, and the default gateway is the IP address of your router, as is the DNS server.

Once you have filled in these things, click OK, and then click OK on the previous screen. After a while, it should say that you are now connected.

zzzzzomg
10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Well.. my Dad just brought a new router So, I fixed my problem =D, Thanks

The Wise Monkey
10-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Hah, OK then. :D