PDA

View Full Version : Advice on sorting myself out.

SunDiver
10-10-2007, 09:34 PM
First of all this is a great site – so glad I stumbled across it. Read through the entire online tutorial - great work !

This is my first build and I need some help in sorting out what I need.

I’m going to use the new computer for work and gaming.

The only thing I really have picked out is the Intel Quad Core Q6600 CPU. I would like to have the option of overclocking it to 3.0GHz later if I wanted to.

For work I need to hook up 2 monitors. I like the Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 24" LCD Monitor but am not fully sold on it as yet. I would also like to max out the RAM if I could.

As far as gaming goes – I enjoy my games but am not a hard core gamer so the system doesn’t need to be bleeding edge, but one step back from that would be ok.:)

I would like to be able to play all the latest games at max settings if I could – but if I’m going to compromise on anything in the system – it would be the graphics card(s).

I’m not sure if I need SLI or Crossfire – as that would help me determine the motherboard. Can I set up either SLI or Crossfire AND have 2 monitors hooked up? My understanding is that I can have only one monitor.

Stability and reliability is big for me – so I’d like to have a nice margin on cooling and power. I like the idea of water cooling – was looking at the Coollt Eliminator. PSU wise I was thinking of something around the 1000W mark but haven’t narrowed it down as yet.

I guess I'm kind of stuck at the motherboard stage. Any suggestions on the components and a build would be most welcome.

Thank you !

Jamie Nixx
10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Even if a motherboard has SLi or Crossfire, that shouldn't determine the motherboard you get, as most motherboard nowadays are SLi or Crossfire capable.

you don't need a 1000w PSU, thats major overkill.

You don't need SLi to setup two monitors either, although dual monitors will work fine with SLi.

If you want water cooling, i suggest you do your research first, plus its very expensive.

I use SLi in one of my gaming rigs, its not worth it to buy two brand new cards.

Heres a list of gaming parts i recommend

Asus P5N32-E SLi
Corsair XMS2 Ram
8800GTS, if you are using a monitor with a high res, get the 640MB version instead of the 320.
Corsair HX520 or HX620 PSU

I wouldn't recommend using more than 2GB of ram either, it slows your computer down using more.

SunDiver
10-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks Jamie, appreciate the pointers.

I just want to clear up some points.

1) If I understand correctly, I can run SLi or Crossfire on LGA775 motherboards. Does that apply to the Intel mobos too?

2) I got confused with the nVdia 680i chipset and had thought those mobos would only run SLi. So they can run Crossfire too?

3) I saw (pictures) that the graphic card (8800GTS) had 2 connectors but was under the impression that each was a different standard and you could hook up only one monitor. Thanks for updating me on that.

4) Just wishful thinking but.... Can you hook up 2 of those gorgeous Dell 30" monitors to one 8800GTS?

Thanks

Jamie Nixx
10-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Just to clear up, you do know what the difference between SLi and Crossfire is don't you?

SLi is Nvidia's dual GPU's
Crossfire is ATI's dual GPU's

All boards with Nvidia chipsets only support SLi, if you want to use Crossfire your going to need a board with an Intel P35 chipset.

As for your question about the Dell monitors, i would go for an 8800GTX just for one, if you want two of those monitors i would go for an 8800ultra.

SunDiver
10-12-2007, 01:10 AM
All boards with Nvidia chipsets only support SLi, if you want to use Crossfire your going to need a board with an Intel P35 chipset.That is exactly where I was getting confused - all clear now - thanks :)

One other thing while I was reading up on the nVidia 680i chipset. I noticed that there seemed to be a number of issues coming up with people in various forums. e.g. corrupted hard drives, BIOS issues etc from the 680i mobos. I noted your recommendation for the Asus P5N32-E SLi mobo and obviously it works well for you. Just to set my mind at ease, have those 680i issues been resolved or are they still pending? I noticed people complaining but no one posted if their mobo was eventually fixed or not :(. I'm not sure if these are old issues - part of the first release of 680i mobos or are still ongoing.

The reason I ask is that it seems the Intel chipset mobos do not have these issues (or at least no one complained about them) and seemed to be more robust out of the box. I realize that would mean dropping the 8800 GTX and switching to the ATI equivalent. I really don't want to drop the 8800 (already drooling over it) but as this is my first build I also want to avoid unnecessary problems.

Jamie Nixx
10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
The Asus boards are as robust as they get, and the 680i chipset is excellent, don't take my word for it, i recommend that board to a lot of people on this site.

And you can still get a P35 chipset board and use it with an 8800, no problems there.

The Wise Monkey
10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I've got a Gigabye GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard, which has the P35 chipset, and it is an excellent board - I would really recommend it.

Amosmoses33
10-12-2007, 02:41 PM
and i have the P5n32-e sli and i have not had any problems with it, going into my 3rd month running it.

SunDiver
10-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Great - thank you guys !

I think I'm gonna go with the 680i chipset with a 8800GTX. Hopefully in a couple of years when the new GPU cards come out I can snag another 8800GTX cheap and at that point 2 GTXs in SLI would be the cheapest graphics upgrade (I think).

Can anyone recommend a decent 24" monitor?

The Wise Monkey
10-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Dell are always good, as are Xerox, but I'm not sure if they go up to 24".

SunDiver
10-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Last question - I hope :)

What's the best air cooler (Heat sink fan combo) for the Q6600 CPUs?

Thanks

DemonicDerek
10-16-2007, 02:53 AM
Ok I suggest Radeon HD 2600XT, and Intel is expensive to warn you however AMD only has their FX series processors with overclockability allowed. Generally speaking the power supply needs for you sound like it will be in the 600- 700 watt range.

Water cooling is better than air cooling, duh, but there is no specific one cooler that is the best otherwise it would be well known. However there are many great products go to newegg.com and use their search feature to find one you will like.

Jamie Nixx
10-16-2007, 05:20 AM
2600XT needs a 700w PSU, LMAO.

A 400w Corsair would power one ;)

Air cooler, arctic freezer 7 pro is excellent and cheap.

If you want to dabble in water cooling, the Zalman reserator and Asetek Vapochill are the best.

SunDiver
10-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I'm all set now - just need to make some decisions.

Really appreciate your helping me out.

Jamie Nixx
10-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Heh, no problemo mate :)

Good luck with the build, if you get stuck give us a shout.