PDA

View Full Version : Console vs PC

packer2020
10-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi,

Recently, I ran across an article in Game Informer (published about a year ago). It was about the downfall of PC Gaming. According to the article, pc game sales are losing, revenue-wise, to console games. Plenty of reasons abound.

For example, it is easier to debug a console game; for the pc, you have to make it work across a wide range of system specs. Today's consoles are powerful enough to last the next 5 years whereas computers have to be upgraded every year or so with expensive parts (e.g., think gpu's!).

One of the most compelling reasons to me was that for a console game, you push in the game, flick the power and enjoy! That is not always the case with pc games I purchase. Some are buggy and require a little elbow grease. Others don't work at all!

The end of an era

It is sad, but I fear I may soon turn to the other side and game on consoles exclusively. I work hard for my money and my free time is precious to me. What is everyone else's opinion on the matter?

Sadly,

Stan

Jamie Nixx
10-08-2007, 07:06 PM
I beg to differ, i think that PC gaming is on the increase, and is ready to hit the big time once again.

Consoles are completely inadequate to the sheer power of a PC, simple as that.

Even gaming PC's that were superior 3 years ago will outperform an xbox 360, that should tell you something, look how far technology has moved on since then.

Its expensive, but its worth it, you can't upgrade a console when it gets old, you can't do the things with a console you can do with a PC.

LMAO is all i can say, because whoever wrote that article, must have been high at the time, a year ago i may have agreed with the article, but today, its a different story, Crysis, need i say more?

And also woohooo 500th post :D , Rob should give me some kind of reward me thinks :p

DemonicDerek
10-16-2007, 03:16 AM
Here is your unbiased answer:

PC gamers have a lot of advantages in that their graphics are phenominal, they have more buttons available their mouses are more ergonomic etc. However, the one thing they don't have is uniformity which is why online play is more difficult to do. Consoles are all the same thing, usually considering now that they are doing things to make different versions of consoles, however they are not diffrent power wise (as in processor not the electricity bill). So when you go online you have the same NIC the same GPU and CPU and ect. This allows for a lot more skill based gaming rather than who has more money and can acually play the game.

On a non-online aspect then pcs win hands down, because uniformity doesn't matter and so non-online is just pc because they are generally better at playing games.

Here is a list of pros and cons for ease of use:

PC pro:
More powerful
custom built, at times
better offline play
games cost less

Pc Con:
No to very limited uniformity
online play suuuuuuucks
you get what you pay for, literally.

Console pro:
everything is the same
everything designed around the console
can get more than what you pay for, but it comes back from games. (microsoft lost $150 for every 360 but gains a heck of a lot more from games and acessories).

Console con:
Price of acessories and games.
uniformity can sometmes be bad (can you say RROD?)
IDK its 3:30 am you go make your own list!

Jamie Nixx
10-16-2007, 05:54 AM
PC gaming online is better, proven fact.

Xbox 360 and PS3 online is cheap, and quite frankly rubbish, plus for initial setup, it costs money, whereas on the PC, you can download xfire and choose from thousands of servers for free.

It doesn't matter about whoever has the most powerful PC, as long as the game runs smoothly you can play fine online, the state of your connection often lets people down, as thats the thing that causes lag online, not the computer you are using.

Also, imo PC gaming requires more skill, especially in FPS, Call of duty multiplayer has to be one of the hardest multiplayer games going, Fatal1ty is the worlds best gamer, i don't see him using a console, true hardcore game fans will choose a PC, another fact, run of the mill gamers and semi hardcore gamers will choose a console, because they are easy to setup, and its just play, no installation of games, no tweaking of the graphics, just simplicity. PC gamers like the techno knowhow, and you have to be pretty clued up to be one. Not that i don't enjoy consoles, when my mates come over we don't sit down and play PC, i bust out the PS3 and play some Fifa or whatever, but then i just turn on Bioshock and see their jaws hit the floor when they see the graphics.

My reply may seem like i am biased in favour of a PC, but considering i own a PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo wii, and a lot of other consoles, its not, its just cold hard facts.

You said yourself, that you are a hardcore console gamer in another thread, and haven't yet built a PC, so are your views not biased in favour of consoles?