PDA

View Full Version : Memory

Peterjc
10-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of determining the parts I want or need for a build. I have decided on an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless using a X2 6000
The specs for the ASUS says this mobd can use DDR2 800. Is there any advantage in using DDR2 1066 or higher or is that just a waste of money.

With prices low what brand would you recommend. Mushkin Crucial?
TX for your imput.

Jamie Nixx
10-03-2007, 02:50 PM
There would be a slight increase in performace, but the motherboard you chose only supports upto 800Mhz so i am a bit baffled as to why you asked :confused: :D

I run gaming rigs, Corsair XMS2 is probably the best and on newegg its mega cheap.

But Geil are also excellent if you are on a budget.

Peterjc
10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I asked because I didn't know.
I don't know if, even though the mobo specs say DDR2 can I use faster memory and if so will it run faster on this mobo. My real question is,,, specs are one thing real life is another. Are the specs accurate or conservative. Will faster then spec ram run faster then spec ram on this mb?

Thx Peter

Jamie Nixx
10-04-2007, 01:17 PM
No, the motherboard will only use DDR2 800, it doesn't support anything higher.

The Wise Monkey
10-04-2007, 05:32 PM
What Jamie means is that even if you buy some 1066 RAM i.e PC8500, it will only run at 800MHz i.e. PC6400 because that is all the chosen motherboard can support. It will still work, but it will not be used to its potential.

In fact, it will probably be slower than some PC6400 RAM, because the lower MHz usually has a lower latency, which plays a much more important role in RAM speeds than its operating frequency.

Jamie Nixx
10-05-2007, 04:43 AM
Yes i should have made it a bit clearer :rolleyes:

Honestly though, the difference between the two frequencies (PC6400 and 8500) is minimal, it depends a lot on latency.

As WM said, yes it will still work, but will only run as fast as the motherboard can run it, so you would have wasted your money when you could have spent the extra on ram with low latency.

Peterjc
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Thank you guys,
Thanks for the info.
I just checked prices on some of the memory I was looking at. In the last few days it has dropped a bunch. At this rate if I wait a few more weeks it should be free! :-)

Thanks again,
Peter