Hi all.

This what I have installed so far...

Thermaltake ATX 12 V 500W PSU
ASUS P5N SLI LGA 775
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Patriot Extreme performance 2 gb (2 x 1gb) PC2-6400 800 mhz
Zalman cpu fan
EVGA 8800GTS 320 mg

The first time I install everything the fans/led would all turn on, but nothing else. No beeps or anything. Then I took out everything and put it back in and now I have only a split second of power. Fans spin then off really quick. Then I realized that I did not plug in the 4 pin power. However, I only get the split second of power after plugging in the both the 4 pin and 24 pin power. When I push the power again nothing happens. I have to unplug my PSU then plug it back in to get my half second of life.

Please, any help would be appreciated.

BTW, how hard is it fry your parts?

Jamie Nixx
10-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Its quite hard to damage your parts, they are pretty hardy.

I would say your CPU is overheating or your PSU is broken.

If CPU's overheat rapidly, your computer will shut down in a second to prevent damage.

If your PSU is broken, there may still be enough life to give your computer a joult of power and will then cease.

I noticed you are using a Zalman CPU cooler, big mistake there mate.

Gen.Manapua
10-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Thx Jamie for your reply. Now I changed my PSU to a Raidmax 630W and my CPU fan to a Thermaltake minityphoon. I only put in videocard, RAM, and CPU. Plug in all the cables, turned in on, all the fans start spining, then FIRE & SMOKE coming from the motherboard!!! (I'll post a picture on the part that caught on fire later)

The mini fire was right below where the video card is. I then turned off my computer, replug all the cables and tried again. However, all the fan turn on but still nothing showing on the monitor or any beeps.

Should I get new mobo? the part that caught on fire is now charred and black.

Advice anyone?

Gen.Manapua
10-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I've tried the advice posted by Rob except grounding issue with the mobo screws. Took out video card, took out Ram...still no beeps.

The Wise Monkey
10-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Sounds like a dodgy capacitor or something on your mobo - you will need to get a new one. I assume that it is still under warranty?

Jamie Nixx
10-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Or several, get a new mobo asap.

Gen.Manapua
10-09-2007, 01:05 AM
So this would not be a PSU problem? I did change out my PSU to the Raidmax 630W which started the fire.

Another question. When I installed the the Zalman cpu fan, I had to screw it in pretty tight. Almost thought I was crushing my cpu. Could this thing damage my mobo and/or cpu? I have since gotten the Thermaltake minityphoon.

Thanks for you all your replies!

The Wise Monkey
10-09-2007, 05:25 AM
First things first - if you have a charred motherboard, then its not going to work at all and it will prevent you from diagnosing what any other problems might be. Once you have a new mobo, then you can see if it was anything else that caused the problem.

Jamie Nixx
10-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Dude, just get a new motherboard first, like WM said, its burnt out, PSU's don't cause that kind of damage, a faulty motherboard does that to itself.

Before you go changing other parts change the most important one, the mobo.

Gen.Manapua
10-15-2007, 06:35 PM
So I got a new motherboard. I tried installed the cpu and fan. Then I realized that the minityphoon is too big for my mobo. The fan was crushing a transistor. Any recommendations for a fan for the ASUS P5N SLI LGA 775? I hope I did not screw up my mobo.

Jamie Nixx
10-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Do you still have the stock fan that came with the CPU?

Gen.Manapua
10-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Yes, I've installed it with the stock fan. Now when I turn it on, only the fans are running. No beeps or anything on the monitor. I've done the steps on Rob's first boot problem page. Should I RMA the CPU?

Jamie Nixx
10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Did you apply new thermal paste?

Gen.Manapua
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
yup, Artic Silver

Jamie Nixx
10-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Try turning it on with only one stick of Ram in, try each slot and if it doesn't work try the other stick and do the same.

There is a big chance the CPU could have been damaged in the mini fire you had though.