PDA

View Full Version : problem with cables

dickdb
09-28-2007, 06:19 AM
This is my first build and I'm surprised that everything has gone so smoothly until now. My case is an Ultra Grid with a 120mm front fan. I went to hook the fan to the motherboard which is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P. However the fan cable won't even reach to the mobo let alone a power connector on the mobo. The fan cable has a 3 pin female connector and my system fan plug is a 4 pin male. What can I do to get this hooked up besides buying a replacement fan? Also, what is the difference between a system fan and a power fan on the mobo? This is the only thing keeping me from booting up and going into the BIOS. Any advice would be appreciated.

The Wise Monkey
09-28-2007, 06:45 AM
I have the same motherboard as you - good choice. Does your fan only get its power through the one cable? Most large fans nowadays get their power from a standard molex connector - the cable is only for monitoring purposes.

The system fan connector is for the chasis fan, whilst the power fan connector is used for monitoring the speed of the PSU fan.

dickdb
09-28-2007, 07:19 AM
The fan is hidden behind the case chassis and the front of the case. There is a 3 wire strand coming through the chassis from the fan and that's all I see. Didn't really want to try and remove the front because of the wires behind it. Is there a cable that would attach to the fan cable and extend it so it can reach the mobo?

Jamie Nixx
09-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Are you sure its not caught on something?

I just looked at a review for your case and the 3 pin connector looks long enough to reach the motherboard, in the review that is.

dickdb
09-28-2007, 07:40 AM
I've gently tugged on the wire but it won't come through any further. Think I'll try and take the front of the case off tonight when I get home from work. If I need to replace the fan, it will have to be done anyway.

Amosmoses33
09-28-2007, 08:40 AM
if it wont, they are places that sell "extension cords" that you can use to lengthen your cable.