PDA

View Full Version : 4 GB and Windows XP?

Gen.Manapua
09-23-2007, 10:44 PM
MySuperPC has 4 GB of RAM. I thought WinXP could only support max 3GB. or am I wrong?

Jamie Nixx
09-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Windows XP supports 4GB of ram, but your computer will only recognise just over 3GB.

You can perform a registry hack by adding the PAE switch to recognise 4GB but to be honest its not worth it, windows XP, even though it has a 4GB limit, will only perform the same, or less than a computer with 2GB of ram, thats the truth even though hard to believe, 3GB or more actually slows the system down.

I would take 2GB out, keep it safe and then when/if you make the jump to Vista put it back in.

Rob
09-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Here's my page on the problem that the 32-bit versions of Windows have recognizing the maximum amount of memory the computer will actually hold.

http://www.mysuperpc.com/pmu/windows_ram_memory_4gb_problem.shtml

jglaysher
09-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Rob,

Can I ask then, why do you recommend "Crucial 4096MB PC8500 DDR2" in your My Super PC specs?

Is it because memory is cheap and an eventual upgrade to, say, Vista SP1 or SP2 :) would bring the unused memory in to play.

Rob
09-25-2007, 07:20 AM
That's a good question. From a practical point of view, around 3GB is the maximum amount of memory recognized by 32-bit versions of Windows, even though the computer may physcially allow 4GB of RAM to be installed. I discuss this on my RAM page.
http://www.mysuperpc.com/ram.shtml

Here are my reasons:

The first is that I had heard there was a limit around 3GB, but I had never seen it for myself. So I wanted to put it to the test. The actual limit varies, depending on the computer hardware and configuration. It's somewhere in the range of 2.75GB to 3.5GB. To be really sure the memory will be maxed out takes four 1GB memory modules for My Super PC.

The second is, as you pointed out, RAM prices are low. I certainly wouldn't use 4 memory sticks unless prices were really low.

The third is that it's not a bad idea for me in particular, since I'm recommending components, to max out the hardware I'm using to see for myself that it holds up under load. I could have done this using 2x1GB of RAM plus 2x512MB of RAM and still have 4 sticks. That's perfectly fine and I seriously considered this, but the value of the 1GB memory sticks got the better of me.

The fourth is that I'm sometimes torn on how to actually configure My Super PC. Do I make it lean more toward "super" or more toward "best value". In this particular case, I was mindful that max'ing out the amount of RAM would make it look more "super". After all, a total of 2GB would be a better value for most of us. On the other hand, it's possible that RAM prices could go higher - maybe much higher - so having the extra RAM around might not be a bad idea. From what I understand, the next generation of motherboards that use DDR3 memory will also use DDR2 memory, and that initially the DDR2 memory will be faster, while DDR3 memory will not only be much slower, but also much more expensive.

Stepping back from all this, the message I want people to take away is that 1GB is pretty much the least amount of RAM you should have, and that 2GB of RAM should be plenty for most of us. Some people will make use of more, all the way up to the maximum, but the physical maximum of 4GB cannot be reached for any of us using 32-bit version of Windows.

By the way, the text you reference is not the "recommended" parts, but the configuration of My Super PC "today". But you make a good point. I'm going to re-read the text I have that discuss how much RAM I have installed and how much RAM is sufficient - with a critical eye - and make updates.

Good thread! Sticky!

Jim
01-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Ok...........I've read the comments on here that a 32 bit system would actually run slower on 4 GB of RAM than just two. I WAS considering buying an extra 2 GB of the Corsair because the price was so low and the posts here say it's top of the line.
THEN..........I found it at ClubIt for $30 after rebates. Couldn't resist. I decided that if I don't use it in another build..........then someone I know will want to buy it from me. SOOOOOOOO---It wouldn't do anygood to go ahead and stick it in the board???
Also.......It's advertised to be tested at the 4-4-4-12 and It's running at the 5-5-5-18. Should I clock it to the advertised settings?

The Wise Monkey
01-12-2008, 05:50 AM
Yes, you should. :)

Just go into the BIOS and change the timings manually.

Jim
01-12-2008, 07:31 AM
OK..........I've never done any of this high-tech stuff. Didn't I read that besides changing the latency-----I also have to change the voltage??

Jim
01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
ALSO..........If Y'all (<-------TEXAS TALK) do decide to help me with tips on changing the clock on my Corsair RAM...........Could y'all also give me some directions on over clocking this Quad-core 6600 processor? Might as well up it somewhere between a little and a lot since I have the Antec 900 cooling/PK5C and besides-----I need some hands-on so that I don't look so foolish for havin all this hardware and not knowin how to use it. Did I mention the 4 GB's of RAM? :rolleyes:

The Wise Monkey
01-12-2008, 05:50 PM
No, you won't have to change the voltage. It should be fine - just go into the BIOS and change the settings from 5-5-5-18 to 4-4-4-12.

I posted a guide to overclocking in the Overclocking forum - check it out. :)

BobaFettK
01-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Rather than starting a new thread, I'd like to horn in on this conversaiton if I may...

I've already purchased myself 4GB of the Corsair RAM (even though I have no other parts for my dream machine yet) because I wanted the rebate from Newegg. I'm planning to start with XP and possibly upgrade to Vista later this year if they get some of the bugs worked out. CAN I use only one of the two 2GB components I purchased until I upgrade, or does that type of memory require 2 components running in tandem to function?

Thanks.

PS When and if I upgrade, I obviously want the 64-bit version of Vista. Is that the standard version now, or is 32-bit more common? Will the box make it clear which version is which? Does the 64-bit version have any DISadvantages compared to 32-bit? I know that seems like a silly question, but I was reading about the 64-bit version of WinXP, and I discovered that it is apparently no longer supported and also does not include some basic Windows components such as Media Player.