PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of the military

lorizzle
09-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi! I just logged on to this site today, and I think I want to do it. I can't stand shopping for computers...they have everything you don't want and nothing you do.

Anyway! I was just wondering about how long building a computer would take for a newbie after I get all the materials? I'm getting out of the Air Force in 6 months or so, and I don't want to spend too much, as well as make sure I'm done before I leave. :rolleyes:

Rob
09-18-2007, 06:06 PM
If you've never put one together before, so you're doing things that are unfamiliar but not difficult, then I would say allow a day for it. The thing is, some steps are long by their very nature. For example, running the hard drive diagnostics takes several hours if you do all of the tests. Windows does a format of the hard drive as part of the install, so that takes about an hour alone. And otherwise the Windows installation takes maybe 30 minutes.

It depends on the individual. The very first time I installed a CPU cooler on the processor it took 90 minutes. Now it takes me two to five minutes. I'm familiar with it now.

So it depends on your comfort level and what steps you skip. I'm sure it could be done in less than an hour by someone in a hurry.

I'm interested to hear what others think.

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 06:49 PM
My first computer took me about 3 hours, but i was being extra careful as not to shock anything or break anything, now i can build a computer from scratch in about 30 minutes, to format a big HD takes a couple of hours and the initial Windows install takes 39 minutes depending on the speed of your computer, i can install windows after a format in about 25 mins because my computers fly :D , then your looking at windows updates, driver installation and constant re-boots so we are talking for a noob maybe 5 or 6 hours at least.

The hardest thing about building computers is not the building itself, but learning about all of the different components, for example the sockets of motherboards e.g socket AM2 or socket 775 and the different types of ram e.g DDR, DDR2 and now DDR3 and the many different speeds and latencys the parts come with.

I suggest you buy Robs book, i am sure it has a mountain of info and you can study it and come out of the force with the knowledge to hand, try and learn about the components and what is in now.

Owned
09-18-2007, 09:38 PM
The hardest part is figuring out the basic stuff and what components to get. Just start shopping at newegg and it will be easy.

My first time took me about 6 hours total.

Let me give you some advise:

Put ALL OF YOUR COMPONENTS on your motherboard before you mount it to the tray, especially if you have a ghetto ass tray that takes like a damn hour to mount the motherboard.

Andy R
09-18-2007, 09:57 PM
I first want to say congratulations, for getting out of the service. Second if you are thinking of building you own computer I would suggest you buy Robs book. I just receive my copy of Rods book today, it has over 300 pages of steps and pictures that will help you build your own computer. I would start there you never know this may change your mind or you could look at it as a challenge. What ever you do, this would be a good starting point and a good reference for later when you are puttiing your computer together. As far as putting it together I would say one day.
Good luck:)