PDA

View Full Version : New computer hits snag

Lethargic
09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I've built two computers using this site as a guide the past couple of weeks. The first when went pretty well and is working fine. But I'm having a problem with the second one. Everything is installed and tests fine. I install Windows XP and then start installing my drivers, that's when the problem starts.

When I try to install the Nvidia nForce 3 drivers that came with my motherboard, Windows will no longer boot up. It just sits at the XP loading screen and never moves on. So I tried the driver components one at a time and figured that the GART, SMBus and Ethernet drivers all work, but the IDE SW driver is what kills it.

So eventually I went ahead and installed everything without the IDE driver to see how it goes. It went OK without it. But even though I can't point to anything specific, it didn't really feel stable. Didn't feel comfortable and didn't seem as fast as the first one I built, even though this one has much better components and SHOULD be faster.

So I guess the question is, is this IDE driver not installing a major problem? Should the system function fine without it? Does it not installing mean something is wrong in BIOS or something?

My second problem is that after I went ahead and installed everything I decided to try to play the game City of Heroes on it. Now I built this computer with the sole purpose of playing this one game on it. I got the optimal specs for the game from the CoH website, and that's what I built. So I try to play it and it gives me a message that my video drivers are out of date. So I went to Nvidia's website and downloaded the latest ones as of July 27th. Installed them, tried the game and got the same message anyway. Went ahead and tried the game and it was way too dark and very choppy. So now I'm really confused. It says I need a new driver, I got the latest one and it still doesn't work.

I've been working on getting this computer up and running for 21 hours straight now. I'm currently wiping the drive to start all over again for the 4th time. I'm starting to lose my mind.

The Wise Monkey
09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Hmmm, I hate driver issues - had a similar problem with Bioshock, unfortunately.

Try downloading the latest IDE drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website, then install those and see if that makes a difference.

As for the graphics drivers, do you need the latest beta drivers? Are you downloading the Vista drivers as opposed to the XP drivers by mistake? If you want to remove the drivers, boot up into safe mode and remove them via add/remove programs, then reboot into safe mode and install the different drivers. This will hopefully minimise any conflicts that might occur with antivirus software/firewalls.

Lethargic
09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Hmmm, I hate driver issues - had a similar problem with Bioshock, unfortunately.

Try downloading the latest IDE drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website, then install those and see if that makes a difference.

I did that and got the same thing. When XP is reinstalled I'm gonna try the ones from the website first this time though and not bother with this CD.

As for the graphics drivers, do you need the latest beta drivers? Are you downloading the Vista drivers as opposed to the XP drivers by mistake? If you want to remove the drivers, boot up into safe mode and remove them via add/remove programs, then reboot into safe mode and install the different drivers. This will hopefully minimise any conflicts that might occur with antivirus software/firewalls.

No, it's not Vista drivers. And like the IDE drive, I'm not even gonna bother with the discs this next time through. If that don't work, I'll see if they have beta ones for this card. And I don't have antivirus yet or firewall except for the built in windows one.

And speaking of Bioshock, I just got it for Xbox 360 yesterday and I haven't been able to play it since I've been dealing with this crap! Arrgh!

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 10:00 PM
The pc version of Bioshock is the best :p

Better graphics.....:D

The Wise Monkey
09-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Hehe, that sucks.

Which GFX card/motherboard do you have?

Jamie Nixx
09-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Who me :rolleyes:

Computer 1

Asus striker extreme
640MB 8800GTS

Computer 2
Asus P5N-E SLI
7900GS in SLi

Oh ye baby :D

The Wise Monkey
09-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I meant the topic starter - still trying to help with his problem. :)