PDA

View Full Version : asus p5n-e sli calling jamie nixx

harotoast
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
got the comp built, pretty happy with it when it works but having some major issues with the ram. if i have both gigs in at once, it'll BSOD and give me IRLQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL. when one gig's in, its fine but i cant get it to not crash when ive got both in...

it's definetly a ram problem but i can use either stick in slot 1 and it'll work, is there something i need to fix with the mobo/bios/ any of that (bear in mind im pretty noob with the very in depth stuff)? or am i just out of luck?

Jamie Nixx
09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
When you installed windows did you have both GB of ram in?

The same thing happened to me the other day, in one of my systems i only had 1.5GB of corsair in so i bought another stick of 512mb, all went haywire.

Does it do it all the time or does it only do it sometimes?

I am looking into this as i am posting so i'll try and find out as much as i can.

Jamie Nixx
09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Harotoast i have just placed an order for 2GB of corsair XMS2 ( i am assuming this is what you are using) for my system, if you can hold tight for a couple of days and see if i encounter the same problem that would be great, i have posted on a few forums with the problem so its a waiting game unless Rob or WM have any info.

It seems a lot of things can trigger this problem, sometimes the HD can be a problem or a corrupted file.

I'll post as soon as i find out anything :)

harotoast
09-17-2007, 09:18 PM
sounds great, thanks

when i installed windows i had both sticks in. over the course of 4 days i tried windows xp pro, sabayon linux/32 and 64 bit editions (couldnt bring up the gui for some reason, had to scrap em) and vista ultimate, not knowing what the heck was going wrong, it would just freeze. i had tried reseating the ram, all the power connectors, reformatting the hard drive, using another hard drive i knew to work, none helped. although, vista was smart enough to actually give me an error (irql_not_less_or_equal) which i googles and led me to trying only the one stick. ive tried all the possible physical ram arrangements, two of which started making my computer stop finding the operating system (yikes) and worse, but its all back now but on the 1 ram stick.

hope you find a solution, il be checking back soon

Jamie Nixx
09-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Hopefully i will find a solution, its a weird problem, i have recommended the corsair and the asus board to a lot of members on here and they have encountered no problems.

harotoast
09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
lol not good

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 06:36 PM
If you haven't already, i want you to update the bios and the motherboard drivers....

harotoast
09-18-2007, 06:43 PM
i didnt have to run any drivers from the cd cause vista had most or all of em already, the one i did run was the realtek high def audio one, now that ive got the bios thing up the only update option i can find is from local file, where do i get an update?

model p5n-e sli
version asus p5n-e sli acpi bios revision 0505

chipset c55-mcp51
date 03/05/2007

bios type award
bios size 512 K

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

Select product, you select motherboard

The series will be socket 775

Motherboard will be P5N-E SLi, NOT P5N32-E SLi.

Vista may have had most of the drivers but not necessarily the newest ones.

When you select Bios, download the second one down that sais ALL OS, as you can see the driver enhances memory compatibility and hopefully should sort out your problem.

harotoast
09-18-2007, 07:51 PM
physically, how are the ram's arranged? one in dimm1A and one in dimm2A, the two yellow ones? i dont know if this one is one of the mobos that needs the channels balanced, i think the manual said it did

harotoast
09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
no dice. updated to the bios you specified (0608), still freezes sometime between boat and os load, once or twice i got the bsod error " ntfs.sys - Address 825A110b base at 824F8000, datestamp 4549aceb" if that helps, btu still no dice with 2 gigs.

its a different error from the previous irql equals... though, dont know if its an improvement or if it means nothing at all.

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I think i have found a solution for you mate, you need to change the memory timings from 1T to 2T and it should work fine, if this doesn't work then you have either a faulty mobo or ram, most likely a faulty memory controller.

harotoast
09-18-2007, 08:53 PM
am attempting when some file finishes unzipping, how did you come up with that, for future reference?

and i dont know which bios setting is t#, help?

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Corsair is overclockers memory, very fast even at high latencies, that is an overclockers motherboard also which is why they are great for gaming as they can take unbelievable stress, its why they are hard to configure.

I remember reading a PDF file a while ago about how Corsair should be run at 2T when you are using 2GB or more of the ram, to back up my thoughts i googled the mobo and the exact brand of ram, and wouldn't you know it turns out people have a lot of trouble when installing the ram and mobo together.

One drawback is that running 2T decreases performance slightly but XMS2 is excellent ram so you shouldn't notice.

Another solution, if you want to run at T1 is to increase the voltage by .2 or .3

harotoast
09-18-2007, 09:05 PM
sounds good

..how do i do this?

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I am looking now bare with me mate :)

harotoast
09-18-2007, 09:14 PM
lol thanks.. im in the timing setting part of the cmos setup utility but i dont know which acronym corresponds to #t,theres tCL (CAS latency), tRCD. tRP, tRAS. Command Per Clock (CMD) advanced: tRRD. tRC, tWR, tWTR, tREF, tRD, tRFC, Async Latency... whole lotta giberrish to me

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I would run you through it but i am on my other computer so i am having to trawl through the net to find out how lol.

harotoast
09-18-2007, 09:30 PM
im thking its Command per Clock cause the options are 1,2, or auto and on some forums like this http://forums.legitreviews.com/about1034.html they talk about command timing in t's

lookin good so far, didnt crash on boot

im hearing clicking inside my case now, is that the ram going 2t?

Jamie Nixx
09-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Thats the one, set the command per clock to 2

Jamie Nixx
09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi Harotoast, well my ram arrived today and sorry to say my computer is running smooth as silk, did my suggestion work mate, hows the comp.