PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard lock-up

ErikT
02-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Rob. Great website. I'm currently putting together my first PC and I've got something I think may be a motherboard issue.

I'm building my PC with an MSI 975X Platinum v.2 motherboard and Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. Here are the other components:

Intel stock CPU cooling fan (included w/ CPU)
2GB (2 x 1GB modules) Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 memory
Western Digital 320GB 7200rpm SATAII hard drive
LG "Super-multi" DVD writer w/ Lightscribe
ATI X1650 PCI-Express video card (512MB)
Coolermaster 430W power supply

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate as the OS.

I installed all the hardware and configured the BIOS (with the help of your website), and everything worked rather smoothly. I was able to install Windows Vista with no problems at all, which was surprising to me based on personal experiences of others that tried the same.

The only problem I was having was the system seemed a little unstable. I wasn't sure if it was Vista or my hardware configuration. I'm not trying to overclock at all, so I'd like to think it's most likely Vista.

But yesterday something happened. Vista blue screened on me while idle. The power and reset buttons were not responding. I had to flip the switch on the power supply to cut power and then restart the machine. On turning the power back on, nothing happened. The motherboard didn't POST, so I was looking at a blank screen. I cut the power again, reset the motherboard, and turned power back on... still nothing.

Frustrated, I left the power off and drank a few beers before coming back. I reset the motherboard again, and powered back on. Motherboard POSTed and I was able to enter the BIOS, and while I was editing the BIOS, it locked up. Everything just froze.

And that's what's happening now. I leave the computer completely powered off for several minutes/hours and when I turn it back on, I can enter the BIOS, but after a few minutes (sometimes just seconds) the BIOS freezes up again.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem?

Rob
02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi. I don't have any really good idea as to what the problem might be. I would try clearing the CMOS and loading failsafe defaults. It sounds like it could be a problem with the RAM. If so then using failsafe defaults should help. But that's a guess.

ErikT
03-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I loaded the failsafe defaults, but still had the same problem. I stripped everything out except for the CPU, fan, video card, and RAM and tried again... still nothing. So then I pulled one of the RAM modules out and tried again... still nothing. So I switched out that module with the one I had just pulled... everything started working again.

I've been running on that one module since last night and so far I haven't had any problems. Windows even seems to be more stable.

Looks like I'll be putting in an RMA with Corsair for that other module.

DemonicDerek
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
First off, whats an RMA?

Sencondly if you are going to replace your memory, then use the company Rob suggests (curcial technology)

Rob
03-04-2007, 10:53 PM
RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization. This approval number is generally required by the reseller before sending something back. It's no trouble to get one, assuming the part falls within the return period. It's just so they can keep track of what's coming in and why.

DemonicDerek
03-05-2007, 05:28 AM
I thought it had something to do with Returning it. I just didn't know what the abbreviation was.

thanks rob

derek

ErikT
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
You're right... you need an RMA number before you can return the item to the manufacturer for repair/replacement/refund/whatever.

Looks like you're also right that I should have used what Rob suggested with the Crucial memory. Corsair is really suckin' it hard. All of the 4 sticks I bought have gone south and now my new PC is collecting dust while I wait for their slow RMA process to complete.

When/if I ever get the replacement sticks from Corsair, I plan on selling them and using the money to buy some Crucial memory.