PDA

View Full Version : MySuperPC and Vista

Gen.Manapua
09-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Are there any problems using Vista with a MySuperPC build? I was thinking of using the OEM version of Vista. What the differences between the oem version and retail?

Rob
09-10-2007, 11:36 AM
The OEM verison should be just fine. It won't come with manuals and such, but otherwise is the same.

I don't think you'll run into any show-stopper issues using the 32-bit version of Windows Vista. You may have to go to more trouble getting Windows Vista compatible drivers.

Please keep us posted on how you make out!

Jamie Nixx
09-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Retail allows you to transfer the operating system to another pc providing you un-install it from the previous pc.

OEM only allows it to be installed on one pc, and you then cannot use it on any other pc's regardless of upgrade ect.

Retail Vista is an absolute con, it is almost 3 times as much a normal vista.

OEM all the way :D

The Wise Monkey
09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
I installed Vista as soon as it came out, and I had so much trouble with drivers that it kinda put me off it for good. :)

It should be a lot better now that it has been around for a good while.

Jamie Nixx
09-10-2007, 03:11 PM
You would think so WM but its not, its as bad as it ever was lol.

The Wise Monkey
09-11-2007, 04:36 AM
Haha, still not going to try it then. :D

I might start out with a dual-boot, but only when they bring out the first service pack.

Jamie Nixx
09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Nope mate i ain't going to use my copy until everything is all good :D

angelrio10111
12-15-2007, 04:50 AM
Hey Rob..great book..I build my first computor and I know nothing about them,thats how easy your instrutions are. I am really proud of my project..it took me 3 months to get the parts...shopping around for the sales..and one day to but it together...now the but part...I have vista and I had AOL install it work fine for at least 2months all of a sudden aol won't work it won't go thru all the way...it stops at 6 just when it is about to connect..I have dial up service...there tech support can't even help me..and I can't even figure it out..any advice from u or any other members I would gladly try...have a merry chrismas...angel

Rob
12-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi, Angel:

Thanks for the good words! Sorry, I don't know what the problem might be. I'm surprised AOL tech support can't help you. Maybe you should give them another try, this time asking for a Senior Technical Support person.

subbu68
12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi

I too built my PC (see my posting thanking Rob) and installed Vista Home Premium OEM. Quite often when I click on say Control Panel it says Explorer stopped working, searching for solution and says restarting the Explorer and then only it works. In some site I found a guy telling to switch off User Account Control. Did that still it does the same thing.Now it happened on clicking Computer.

Any clue?

As seen in another thread Vista layout seems better.

Thanx
Subbu

subbu68
12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
This problem of 'Windows Explorer stopping...."came up a couple of days after I installed Vista and started loading programmes.I came upon a thread on TechNet on this. People recommended loacating WINDOWS Safety Alert or WINDOWS WARNING on the PC and deleting it, Restoring from DVD etc.I could not find any of these programmes picked up as problem maker.

Then I found that Windows Family Safety was popping up after start up saying that it has not been configured. When I tried to do it it said I am not online though I was through my Dial Up. I had disabled LAN as I am not using ADSL. I tried to 'tell' this programme there is no LAN but there was no way to do it. I just uninstalled this programe and for about 45 minutes I am trying off and on to open Control Panel, Computer etc. and it opens without problem.

Some kind of conflict I suppose.

Hope this helps someone.

Subbu

bean
02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Retail allows you to transfer the operating system to another pc providing you un-install it from the previous pc.

OEM only allows it to be installed on one pc, and you then cannot use it on any other pc's regardless of upgrade ect.

Retail Vista is an absolute con, it is almost 3 times as much a normal vista.

OEM all the way :D

I am assembling parts for my build. I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 System builders OS.

JN. My question is about your comment "regardless of upgrades". I understand I cannot transfer the OS to another Pc. This will be attached at the loins to my build forever. Here are my questions.

1. If I want to upgrade the OS when Microsoft comes out with a service pack upgrade or whatever, I can download upgrades as long as it is not a new OS build like going from XP to Vista?

2. For the hardware, If I want to upgrade a video card (say with EVGA's upgrade program) or install a new CPU etc. ; can I do it if I do not remove the OS.

3. If I upgrade hardware and for some reason have to reinstall this OS on this PC can I do it, or do I need to reconfigue the PC back to its original configuratuion before reinstalling the OS?

4. What tells the OS what PC it is and can you defeat it? I'm not trying to steal an OS for more than one PC; but, I can see over time that the changing of parts can really evolve into be a new PC while the OS remains relevant.

Thanks for your help.

shyster
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
This is not a real answer mind you, but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere the the motherboard is the part that gets logged as the pc. So I believe as long as you keep the motherboard the same you can change out most or all of the other components.

Do not take my word as law of course, but I believe that is how the OEM OS's work.

bean
02-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks shy.

I know that when I had to reinstall the OS on an off the shelf PC, the recovery disk didn't work until I removed all my upgrade hardware and put it back to factory condition. But, since it was full of the manufacturer's programs and whatever; I don't know if it is the same as just a 'vanilla' OS from Microsoft. If I'd have to always go back to original config, I don't know if the $100 bucks or so saving is worth it. Especially, if I want to change to a better CPU. That would be a big PITA.

Any senior member have experience with this?

Thanks

zburns
02-09-2008, 09:21 AM
The question, I think, was what is the difference between Vista retail and OEM. I have the same question. I am about to buy Vista Ultimate or Vista Home Premium; do not want to pay the Retail price for either. Concerned about not having the manual that comes with retail versions. My question: is the manual really any help. As long as I follow any prompts on the install disc, do I need the manual?? Thanks zburns.

chunkylover53
02-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure I would know what a Windows manual looked like if it jumped up and bit me on the arse. :D There are TONS of sites that have Windows Tips and probably some that spit out most of the manual. As far as Windows OEM vs. Retail, I've always liked this explanation...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

I agree with Jamie, the retail versions are a scam. Do you think Dell or HP pay $250 per copy, or for that matter the $90 OEM price that we "builders" pay?

Look at that... I build one PC and I'm calling myself a builder. :rolleyes:

Jamie Nixx
02-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I am assembling parts for my build. I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 System builders OS.

JN. My question is about your comment "regardless of upgrades". I understand I cannot transfer the OS to another Pc. This will be attached at the loins to my build forever. Here are my questions.

1. If I want to upgrade the OS when Microsoft comes out with a service pack upgrade or whatever, I can download upgrades as long as it is not a new OS build like going from XP to Vista?

2. For the hardware, If I want to upgrade a video card (say with EVGA's upgrade program) or install a new CPU etc. ; can I do it if I do not remove the OS.

3. If I upgrade hardware and for some reason have to reinstall this OS on this PC can I do it, or do I need to reconfigue the PC back to its original configuratuion before reinstalling the OS?

4. What tells the OS what PC it is and can you defeat it? I'm not trying to steal an OS for more than one PC; but, I can see over time that the changing of parts can really evolve into be a new PC while the OS remains relevant.

Thanks for your help.

1) That question baffled me a bit, could you word it better?

2) The OS is tied to the motherboard and depending on the mood of the OS, sometimes the CPU, extra hardrives, new GPU, TV cards, Optical drives will not require a re-install or anything to do with windows, it won't bat and eyelid.

3) Yes you can re-install it again, but as to whether is could be re-registered depends on the type of hardware you are changing.

4) The motherboard is what tells microsoft your PC configuration, because everthing plugs into it.

My advice would be if you want to perhaps buy a different motherboard and use the same copy, ring up MS and say that your motherboard was damaged beyond repair and that you cannot afford to buy a new OS, they will ask a few routine questions like 'are you using the same HDD' ect, then they will give you a new activation code, i have done this so many times with Vista that i am beginning to wonder what kind of dumbass people they are employing at the richest and biggest software development company in the world :rolleyes:

Retail packaging is a big money spinner, veteran PC builders like Rob, myself and WM will always buy OEM (when i have to of course) but the fact is that in my experience maybe 80% of people will buy Retail because they don't know any better, paying an extra £50 just so you can have an instruction booklet and a nice box.

shyster
02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I could be wrong Jamie, but I believe that the first question was:

If I want to update (not upgrade) my windows system, when they come out with service packs and what not. Can I just download them with the windows automatic updater, or would I have to buy the system packs separately? This of course is in regards to packs within the same OS like XP or Vista.

I believe the answer to this question, if I have interpreted it correctly is that, yes you can get the "service packs." But all those are, as I understand them, are the updates that microsoft has released to fix bugs, memory leaks in the OS, and other system problems. They come as vista OS and service pack 1 and/or 2, to reduce the amount of downloading people would have to do, and make it easier for people to have the newest version of the OS.

Hopefully I am right and this has answered your question.

bean
02-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks JN and shy. Shy, that is what I meant to say in question one. Sorry for the delay getting back. That makes everything clear now.

Thanks

The Wise Monkey
02-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure I would know what a Windows manual looked like if it jumped up and bit me on the arse. :D There are TONS of sites that have Windows Tips and probably some that spit out most of the manual. As far as Windows OEM vs. Retail, I've always liked this explanation...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

I agree with Jamie, the retail versions are a scam. Do you think Dell or HP pay $250 per copy, or for that matter the $90 OEM price that we "builders" pay?

Look at that... I build one PC and I'm calling myself a builder. :rolleyes:

Thats a really good link chunky - nice find. :)