PDA

View Full Version : Help on RAM choice

imagemaker5150
09-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi Guys and Gals-
I am trying to gather my parts list to build a new system for my business. I am a photographer/digital artist.
This is my first build. I work with large image files in Adobe Photoshop and need a lightning fast computer for my production work. As you all may know, Photoshop requires tons of memory. I plan to use an Intel E6750 processor with an Asus P5N-E-sli motherboard. A tech rep at Crucial told me that I really wouldn't see the difference in their standard RAM vs. the Ballistix Ram suggested by Rob. No overclocking will be used. I will use 4GB in this computer, so if I can save a few bucks that would be great. I don't want to sacrifice quality for the sake of saving $ though. Also, I
am a little concerned after reading some negative reviews at NEWEGG on the Asus board. Smoke and fire isn't what I want!! It's a little scary for a newbie. Thanks for any help or comments from the forum. Peace . Out.

The Wise Monkey
09-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a good system - Jamie is always recommending that mobo.

Be aware that if you are using XP then you cannot utilise more than 3GB of memory without doing some sneaky stuff to the OS. However, I think that the 64-bit edition allows 4GB of memory usage, but then you encounter loads of other problems like driver compatibility etc.

Crucial Ballistix RAM is great - had several sticks in the past and they have done well for me.

Jamie Nixx
09-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Trust me, the Motherboard is bullet proof, i often find people do the damage themselves and then bitch about it, that is one of the most reliable and powerful boards out there, and Asus have good rep.

My computers are gaming rigs, so they need to fly.

The best memory i have used is corsair dominator or a cheaper option is corsair twinx xms2 xtreme memory both excellent, fast ram.

I class corsair above crucial any day of the week, but i have heard good things about the ballistix range and i'll be using it in my next rig.