PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if XP CD has SP2 or not?

cirwdlake
08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Now here is perhaps a stupid question, but one I struggled with last night, while completing my setup of MySuperPC (thanks Rob!).

The XP Home edition that was shipped has no indication on the package about whether it is SP2 or not. How does one tell?

On top of that, during the install, when you get to the part when it is loading Start Menu files, there were about 6-8 files that wouldn't load and it kept asking me to insert either the XP home edition disc or the SP2 disc. I ignored them and went on. It seems to have loaded and is working...or so I think.

Then...while I am installing my wireless card (cheap Zonet PCI LAN adapter), which says it is compatible with everything including Vista, I get an error when loading the drivers saying that they are not approved by Windows or some such thing. This makes me think that SP2 which may have had updated list of approved drivers, was not loaded.

Thanks in advance for any responses

cirwdlake
08-31-2007, 09:46 AM
I see that the PCI card mfg, Zonet recognizes the driver problem and has a fix..however, am still concerned I don't have XP with SP2.

thanks

Cirwdlake

The Wise Monkey
08-31-2007, 01:35 PM
To check if you have SP2 installed, go to the Control Panel, then double click on System (if you are in Classic View). Near the top, to the right of the windows logo, it should say what operating system you have installed, as well as which service packs.

Another way is to go to the Windows Update site, also accessed through the Control Panel. If it tells you to install SP2, then you obviously don't have it already. :)