PDA

View Full Version : My Computer Boot Problem That's Driving Me Crazy

jeffc418
08-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi! For the past few months, I've been having an issue where I hit the power button on my computer (built it in February), and the lights come on and the fans spin, but I get nothing on the monitor, and no POST beep. A month and a half ago, I thought I had figured it out by disconnecting by USB CD/DVD drive before booting, and that worked for around a week before it resumed it's usual boot problems. Two weeks ago, I thought I had figured it out again, by disconnecting a faulty internal CD/DVD drive in my machine, it worked for around five days before it had the problems again. And then five days ago, I thought I had it once and for all; I disconnecting my front USB headers on my motherboard, because they weren't plugged in correctly, and it worked until yesterday.

Here's a detailed description of my problem: I hit the power button, my lights go on, fans spin. Some sort of numbers are displayed on my motherboard flashing very fast, it either says "23-46", "23-56", or "23-45". My monitor just burns orange, and nothing happens. I use a dual monitor set-up, but for a while could only boot with one, so I only boot with one monitor. I change the monitor I boot with and the slot on my video card to see if it'll work, but I get the same problem. It usually takes 5 or 6 tries to boot, today I still haven't booted. It also seems like one quarter of the times I have a successful boot, my USBs on the back of my case aren't working, and therefore my keyboard and mouse don't either. They don't even work in the green and purple connectors.

This problem has literally been driving me crazy for two months, and it's time that I get it fixed. I'm convinced it's my motherboard, but that's not exactly an easy repair (backing up, disconnecting everything, install motherboard, reconnecting everything, restore operating system) and then you're down a few hundred bucks. Please help!!! Thank you SO much!

-Jeff

The Wise Monkey
08-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Hmmm, it sounds like you are up a certain creek without a certain paddling instrument.

It sounds like it probably is the motherboard, and that is an annoying thing to replace, as you said. Have you tried booting without other components? i.e. take the RAM out, disconnect the HD, disconnect CD drives etc - simulate the first boot scenario again.

jeffc418
09-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Later that day, I took out some components and ended up leaving the sound card out. I've booted fine for the past few days, hope it keeps on working! Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Heh, glad it was something relatively minor that was causing the problem. :)