PDA

View Full Version : Please help a newbie!

lazybe
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi, my monitor went out on me :( and I was going to replace it until I got the idea to use another old monitor. Well, the other one did the same thing, the green light comes on and then immediately turns to yellow with NOTHING except a dot appearing on the screen.
I am now under the impression that my video card has gone bad. I am considering the XFX GeForce 6600 VGA card. I have the old one out, so I know that I can pop the new one in, but I would love some of your opinions on this. Does the video card seem like the logical problem? Can you think of anything else that I might ought to be looking for?
Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to reply.:)
Mel

Jamie Nixx
08-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Do you know your complete spec?

Is the computer pre-built or did you build it yourself?

It could be the Video card, but more than likely if it is a technical fault it will be the motherboard or HD that is causing the problem.

GPU's and CPU's are generally bomb proof, can't remember how many times i have dropped a CPU or Graphics card and they have worked fine.

Check all you connections, make sure everything is turned off before you do, and touch a radiator to ground yourself before you go diving around in your case.

*EDIT* what does the Dot on your screen look like, how big is it and whereabout on the screen isit?

:)

lazybe
08-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks Jamie,
I didn't build it but had a guy in a town that I used to live in build it. I can't tell you much about the specs because I can't view any info on my screen. The dot only appeared on one of the monitors, and it was in the middle of the screen, and it just lit up and faded immediately away.
I was actually hoping that it was my video card, but it sounds like maybe I'll just have to take it in to a shop :( . Ugh!
I do appreciate your input,
Mel

Jamie Nixx
08-30-2007, 05:37 PM
A computer shop is a good idea, as they can test each individual component to find the problem and it should't be too expensive.

Check your connections first, take out the GPU and check the slot as well, and put it back in again.

How long have you been using the pc

lazybe
08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I've had it for about 2 years. It's just that I need it asap for some online classes, and I was hoping to save a few $s. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Jamie Nixx
08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Really its no trouble, i am here to help :)

What your encountering is a common first boot problem, except you have been using the computer for 2 years, that pretty much rules out everything a person encountering their first boot problem can check for.

I honestly doubt very much this is anything other than a technical problem which is bad news.

If i knew the brands of your components i would be able to help you more.

Take the side cover off your computer and turn it on to make sure everything is running i.e the fans.

It could be your GPU that is the problem, so instead of taking your whole computer to a shop, just take the graphics card and get them to test it, if you take your whole computer they will be getting $$$ signs in their eyes lol

Try not to worry, check out your local computer shop and their rates for an engineer to test your computer, don't let them talk the jargon about how you should be upgrading blah blah blah ect just tell them to get on with it :D

If the worst comes to the worst and you have to install a new component we are here to help if you get stuck.

Good luck :)