PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply hookups?

robeward
08-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I have the Antec true power trio as shown in the link.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817371002

I also have the MSI P6N Platinum as shown.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813130081

On the motherboard the power connector for the CPU is 8-pins. When I took it out of the box there was a little plastic cap covering four of the pins. The manual simply says that this is the power connection for the CPU. Nothing more.

My power supply has an 8-pin connector and a 4-pin connector. The power supply manual says that the 8-pin connector is for multi CPU systems and the 4-pin connector is for single CPU systems.

Here is the question. I know that I only have a single CPU systems unless the Dual Core 2 Duo counts like two. Ultimately do I hook the 8-pin connector up or the 4-pin? Based on the locking tab on the motherboard it looks like either could be used just not sure which one.

Long post but just wanted to make sure you could understand the situation. This doesn't make any since. Hope someone can shed some light on the subject.

THANKS!

Amosmoses33
08-30-2007, 08:47 AM
I took the cap off and hooked up the 8 pin, no problems...so far :D
i have a dual core processor (intel E6750)
dont use the 4 pin elsewhere by accident tho (like a pci-e plug)

The Wise Monkey
08-30-2007, 12:07 PM
PCI-E are 6 pin iirc.

Anywho, I'm sure it will be ok - let us know how you get on.

robeward
08-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Well so far so good. Powered it on a few minutes ago and everything seems to be working. I used the 8-pin and I guess everything is alright. Time will tell.

Thanks again!

Jamie Nixx
08-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Should be fine mate, glad its all working nicely :D

gtrasi
09-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Yea...i had tht question too since i had a look at Athlon X2 based Jetway M2A690 mobo...it has 8pin CPU power connector as well

And finding an 8pin (its known as EPS 12V specfn) SMPS has a tiring episode.

Also if the SMPS manual says that 8pin is for multi core systems, how come Asus X2 boards such M2A690G or M2Npv-vm has only 4pin CPU power connector?

Jamie Nixx
09-02-2007, 02:10 AM
The reason some boards have have 4 pin plugs and others 8 pin is because of power consumption that CPU's take.

At the moment dual core CPU's work fine with the 4 pin plugs and mobo companies are doing it purely for future proofing their boards, its a bit silly to be honest because all dual core CPU's work fine with just a four pin connector.

You can buy adapters for the 8 pin boards though.