PDA

View Full Version : Cat6 Ethernet Cabling

DemonicDerek
08-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi, I am going to start my own ethernet cabling business. I would make ethernet cables at the length specified by my customers. If I priced my Cat6 ethernet cables at cat5e prices how many of you would buy from me if you needed an ethernet cable made. It would be helpful if you would donate to me to help me get this thing going just e-mail me at hockeyreferee78@yahoo.com. However, my main question is how many of you would buy from me? Below is some things about me if it would help you decide if you would or wouldn't buy from me.

My computer knowledge:

I have taken a Student Technical Support Class, which cost $200. I passed the test that came at the end of the class which is very similar to the A+ Certification test that professionals take.

I run my own wireless network, at home most of it is wired but some portion is wireless.

Before I open my business (which will take a while I will need atleast $600 before I can start it and I currently have $250)... I will read a cisco networking manual to further my studies.

Other things that are important:

The money earned would go towards my college savings.

I will be getting an LLC.

This will be run online only, since I am under 18 I am not legally allowed to own a physical building

Lastly, if you want to suggest a price per foot of the cable, or any other suggestions please don't hesitate to do so.

Thanks for your time,
Derek Fuerstenberg

Edit: I almost forgot I can do both Straight-Thru and Crossover cables. Also please vote in the poll regarding if you would buy from me as well as what you would if the color does matter to you then please post what color in a reply. Also here is some info on the types of cables for those who are seeking knowledge on the types of cables:

Cat6 Cable: A standard Cat6 cable capable of 1000baseT speeds (Gigabit Ethernet, 5e isn't truly capable of this unlike Cat6). NOT FOR USE IN AIR DUCTS (read why in Plenum cable section)!!! Cheapest form of Cat6 cable.

Cat6 Plenum Cable: A Cat6 cable that is capable of the same speeds as a standard Cat6 cable, but this prevents fires and would be safe for use in Air Ducts. If you used a standard Cat6 cable in an air duct and said cable would burn/melt from the heat of it being used then smoke would be emitted from the wire and then would circulate throughout your home since it is in an Air Duct, possibly resulting in death. However if you had a Plenum cable and used that in the Air Duct then if the cable would burn/melt then for one it produces much less smoke and would be much less like to burn/melt in the first place due to the fire preventive coating. It costs around 2-3 times more though.

Cat6 Shielded Cable: A Cat6 cable that is capable of the same speeds as a standard Cat6 cable, but its purpose is to prevent/limit the amount of electrical noise that is emitted from the wire, and woudl be used if your wire is near electrical noise sensitive objects. Electrical noise is not something you can actually hear it is just the term to describe electromagnectic radiation that may harm certain electrical components of your household.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any and all damages, injuries, or deaths resulting from any wires I make or suggest you to use. You are responsible for any and all occurences that arise from the information that I provide above or any cables I sell to you, or recommend or any other possible way that could have something do to with me. The LLC I will be getting would cover this but for the time being this is my legal coverage.