PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Installing XP on SATA drive

Lethargic
08-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I've built a new PC and now I'm trying to install Windows XP. This is the first time I've dealt with SATA instead of a IDE hard drive. So of course I'm having problems.

My XP installation starts normal. I F6 to load my SATA drivers from the floppy and all that. It formats the drive, it then loads everything. I get to the part where I have to choose time zone and date, put in my name and organization, put in the computer name, etc. Then it loads some more and reboots. But when it reboots it won't come back up.

It tells me then that windows has detected a problem and needs to shut down to keep it from damaging the computer. It tells me that there is a problem with the hard drive and that I should run a virus check and checkdisk and blah blah blah. And gives me a 0x0000007B error code.

I've ran every test I can run on every component in the computer. I've tested the hard drive several times, it always checks out fine. I've also installed Linux on it and it ran perfectly, no problems with the hard drive. So it seems to me that it has to be something wrong with getting XP to recognize the SATA drive, even though it seems to work with it up until this point.

I've been using the instructions from mysuperpc all the way through and this has been my only problem. The only real difference between specs is that my mother board is a MSI K8N Neo V2.0 instead of the Platinum one used on the site.

I'm at the end of my rope trying to get this stuff installed. Tried everything I can think of. BIOS seems to be correct as it recognizes everything installed normally and if I change the BIOS settings to anything else, the hard drive or the cd drive vanish and then I REALLY can't install XP. Should I try downloading a different driver other than the one that came with the motherboard maybe? Any help out there?

The Wise Monkey
08-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Try not installing any SATA drivers and see if it installs - I've never had to use any for my HD, and yours may be the same.

If that doesn't work, try what you suggest by downloading the most recent drivers for the HD.

Lethargic
08-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Wow. Not installing the drivers worked. Everything is working perfectly. Now I don't know if I should be happy that it works or mad that I wasted days doing it the "right" way. tee hee

Rob
08-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Very interesting. I'll put this thread under the Build message board.

koganinja
08-27-2007, 01:03 PM
its becouse the drivers u were instaling were raid drivers if u dont have raid the you dont need the drivers hope this clears things up and depending on you bios some sytems after puting the driver on when it does its thing the bio out thinks ah raid 0 then goes were is the other drive and goes no 2nd drive so i will blue screen of death