PDA

View Full Version : Choppy Video - Overheating?

grmokbel
08-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey everyone, me again some questions... Sorry to be such a lamer, but I was actually wondering if there was a way to bundle all those pesky wires in my computer together..? There are so many cords from the powersupply everywhere! It's just a horrible mess in there.

And also, unfortunately, yesterday I had my computer running fine for several hours, ran it over night and no problems. Woke up this morning, played some Halo online and several minutes later my screen went blue telling me I had a system error and that it was shutting down to prevent data or hardware damage or something of that sort. It said to run a system diagnostic, but I am new to windows vista and am so lost in that OS. Anyone know what to do? Could this be because I didnt hook something up properly internally?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

The Wise Monkey
08-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Cable ties are the way to go, or you could get a modular PSU - these allow you to plug in only the cables you need for your system, thus saving on the mess.

As for blue screens, they sometimes just happen. However, it might be due to something overheating - check the BIOS for CPU temp or download something like nTune to check your GPU temp.

grmokbel
08-24-2007, 05:41 PM
i noticed when i loaded halo 2 on my pc, the background is all choppy. like the graphics fade in and out rapidly making somewhat 'triangle' type looking objects appear. You guys think the problem may be my video cardover hearting?

If so how do I cool it down?

I'm running a evga 8800 GTS 320mb graphics card.

Jamie Nixx
08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
That could be Vista, i still hate Vista, i have a copy but won't install it yet, too many problems..

It may be your video card but i doubt it, an 8800GTS can hit 150DegC before it shuts down...

grmokbel
08-24-2007, 08:39 PM
mm also, when i booted up the pc, the video card fan wasn't running!

problem fixed, ty for the help everyone [:

Jamie Nixx
08-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Glad you got it sorted, bench your GPU to make sure it is running ok, sometimes the core can be damaged when the fan doesn't spin.