PDA

View Full Version : Another Memory Question...

JJS
08-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Built this system back in March and installed 1gb of Crucial Ballistix (one stick)memory at the time. I got a good deal on a pair of the exact same memory and am confused if I can use it all (3gb total) or if I can only do 2gb because they need to be done in pairs. Any other issues I need to be aware of? Thank you in advance, Here are the specs on my system:

MySuperPC - The Book
Antec Sonata II
MSI K9N Platinum motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 4200+ processor
Thermaltake Big Typhoon cpu cooler
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 7200rpm SATA 300 MB/s
Crucial Ballistix PC2-8000 DDR2 memory (1GB)
ATI Radeon X1300 256MB
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
Sony DRU-830A DVD RW drive
Lite-On SOHC5236V DVD-ROM Combo Drive.
Zoom Telephonics V.92 V.44 PCI (Model 3025)
Logitech Cordless MX 3000 Laser (Keyboard and Mouse)
DELL Ultrasharp 1907FP 19-inch

Jamie Nixx
08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
They don't have to be done in pairs mate.

I have 3 GB of Corsair in my rig and it runs fine.

JJS
08-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks Jamie, I thought you could, just wasn't sure. Crucials website said I could when they "scanned" my system, however when I looked it up by the motherboard they indicated that upgrades should be done in pairs. I assuming I would use slots 1,2 & 3 & not 4. DO you think I would have to change any of the timings on the ram - they're all the same. MSI forums about memory, seem like they recommend either 1 pair or 2 pair which got me even more confused.

Jamie Nixx
08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Thats bull mate, just plug them in and you won't have to do a thing, windows will automatically recognise the new install of the ram.

koganinja
08-27-2007, 12:25 PM
This old talk well it first you useing 64 bit or 32 bit has 3 gig is a waste of time has it cancels out the matched pair on the mobo sketch and just runs them has singles . Depending on your oc skills 2 gig will 80% of the time out perform a 3 gig set up on 32 bit . But 64 bit it will be just fine but still codeing you the duel pair feture on the mobo so .My advice if useing 32bit stick to 2 gig get some good low latancy stuff and oc the hell out of it but take ur time and rub new stuff in slowly. Dont think your new ram well do wonders sraight out the box run it in for a week then oc it. If useing 64 bit 4 gig flys and it will still run the pairs system and it will give a nice fps hike in games hope this helps

imagemaker5150
09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
To All-
I know this is an often asked question, please pardon the redundancy. Just want to make sure I understand before buying memory for a new first time build. MOBO is Asus P5N-E sli with Intel 6750. Probably Crucial Ballistix memory. (Rob, I did buy the book!) With Windows XP Home, 32 bit, my understanding is that no more than 3 GB of RAM should be used. I was told by a tech rep at Corsair that running more than 2 GB would actually slow the system down! I'm not a gamer so I don't think I want to overclock. Anyone have the definitive answer on this one? This is probably what Koganinja just said above! I'm trying to be careful about not getting too fancy on a first build. Speed is my main concern. I want as much RAM as can be used without degrading the system. Thanks for your help.

Peace,Out.

Jamie Nixx
09-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Corsair XMS2 xtreme memory is better than Crucial ballistix.

I just bought some Crucial for a new system i am making for the family, and imo Corsair is superior, whether its for overclocking or not.

2GB is very sufficient for systems, you only really need more for the 64 bit operating systems, and they are rubbish.

I am a gamer so as i have said parts need to fly, i have used all different brands of ram e.g

OCZ
Kingston
Corsair
Crucial
Mushkin
Patriot
Geil

Corsair are probably the leading Ram makers (although they make some of the worlds best PSU's as well :D )

They are guaranteed to work with that motherboard, i should know i have one myself :)

Lifetime warranty as well.

Thats just my opinion however, i am sure some people favour Crucial but having now used it myself i think Corsair is better and i haven't had any complaints on my recommendations for using that Ram :D

Anyway rant over, back to the question, in windows using 3GB MAY, slow it down a bit, 2GB is really all you need of good memory to make your computer fast, opt for 2 x 1GB sticks, then in the future should you wish to use Vista or boost your comp more you can add some more Ram.