PDA

View Full Version : Antec Case alterntives

Easydog
09-12-2014, 11:15 AM
First of all, thank you so much for yur comprehensive analysis and step-by-step directions. I used this site 8 yrs ago and just last week a power hit took out mu motherboard and video card. So, I'm back to possibly build another.
Question: I like the Antec case you recommend but I note there are others that have an intriguing design but often without a power supply. Do you have any other cases you recommend? Thanks much

Woops..... also... I still have the Antec case from 8 yrs earlier ..would you recommend re-using that case or a new one?

Rob
09-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Most cases do not come with a power supply, or if they do it's a very expensive combination. If you buy the power supply separately then Antec and Enermax make excellent power supplies that they sell standalone. If you are going to buy a computer case without a power supply then many of them are fine.

As far as using an 8-year old computer case. For sure I would not use an 8-year old power supply with modern components. The connectors and expectations of the power supply by the components make that something I would stay away from. As for the case itself, I would be less concerned about that. But realize that the computer case can get upgraded without the model number changing. For example, a current Antec Sonata 3 will include built-in modifications for adding an SSD card, which were not included with the case first came out.