PDA

View Full Version : Monitor takes longer to come on now

imagemaker5150
08-26-2014, 11:34 AM
I recently installed a new larger SSD hard drive as my old one was full. At the same time I decided to add more memory. During the process one of the memory hold down clips broke off. I had an extended warranty plan on the board so I returned it and got a new Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H. Now to my problem. For some reason when I boot the computer it is taking much longer for the monitor to come on. Used to be immediate and now its taking about 30 seconds. It is 10 years old (CRT) and I'm wondering if the problem is with the monitor although it wasn't doing this before. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Rob
08-27-2014, 08:53 AM
I don't think it's a problem with the monitor. If you can get your hands on a different monitor then you can try it to see if there's any difference. My guess is that the new motherboard has a different BIOS version. Not only is the version very likely to be different, but the values for the BIOS settings could be different as well.

imagemaker5150
08-31-2014, 10:54 PM
I have finally determined the reason my monitor is taking so long to power up. I recently added memory and that's when the problem started. When I remove the new memory everything goes back to normal. I am using 16 GB of Crucial Sport ram (2-8GB modules). I added 8 GB more Crucial ram (2-4GB modules) Everything about the memory is consistent except the size (8GB vs. 4GB). This board has two banks of two for memory for a total of 4 memory slots. With the 16GB of ram in slots 1 and 2 (Bank A) when I add the 8GB of ram to slots 2 and 4 (Bank B) the computer will not boot. When I put the 8GB of memory in Bank A and 16GB in Bank B the computer will boot but I have the delayed monitor power on of about 30 seconds. I thought it was acceptable to use different sized memory modules as long as the brand, type, and other specs matched. The Gigabyte manual states that it is "advisable" to use the same identical memory modules. Does anyone know if there is a way for me to use a total of 24GB of ram and have everything work "normally". When all 4 modules are installed the system recognizes all the memory. Just can't figure out why the monitor delays coming on. Very puzzling indeed. Thanks for the help.

Rob
09-03-2014, 08:20 PM
I have heard the same advice - that you should use identical memory modules right down to the manufacturer, size, type everything. But I had not heard of what particular issues you might run into if you don't. Well, it sounds like you've figured out what's causing the delay. And it sounds like everything is working except you encounter the delay. I don't know why that would cause a delay but I guess that's one reason for the advice.