PDA

View Full Version : Broken memory holdown clip on motherboard

imagemaker5150
08-12-2014, 11:47 AM
A few days ago I installed additional memory sticks in my computer (Gigabyte motherboard ) and one of the plastic holdown clips broke off. No excessive force was used and the memory seemed to seat properly except for snapping the clip off. :-(

The board is still apparently under warranty with Gigabyte (Three Years) my computer is just over a year old however who knows how long I might have to be without my computer while they decide if they will cover it or not. I suspect NOT. I read a disclaimer that said the warranty doesn't cover physical damage by the consumer. Then what good is the warranty.

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen and found a good way to secure the memory stick. It appears to be well seated and isn't going anywhere. There is one clip still intact. Computer is running fine. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.
And BTW the plastic collar around one of the SATA ports on the board came off with the cable when I unplugged it. I'm really beginning to have my doubts about the quality of Gigabyte boards. Sheesh!!

Rob
08-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Well I haven't had anything like this happen to me. Regarding the memory stick, I wonder if the problem will be in getting it out. It sounds like it is in securely. I don't know how easy it will be to get out without the clip to give you leverage. Anyway, as long as it is well seated and everything seems to be working then I would not worry about it.

imagemaker5150
08-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks Rob. I don't think I'll have a problem removing the memory stick should that be necessary. Right now my computer is pretty much finished so I plan to just let sleeping dogs lay! Just thought I would see if anyone else has had this problem before. The piece that broke off is rather flimsy IMO. Oh well. I'll keep an eye on it. BTW I did find some information about this on the internet and some folks wrote that they routinely get old motherboards from repair shops that have all or most all of the clips broken! I didn't know it was such a common thing.