PDA

View Full Version : Was the B85-G41 a better choice than the Z87 chipset?

Rivrbyte
03-14-2014, 03:30 AM
I just bought a MSI B85-G41, but I don't GAME, or OVERCLOCK .
I primarily use Photoshop CS5 Extended, and video editing with Pinnacle Studio 15 HD Ult. (I'm hoping this B85 chipset will be fine)
I don't know what benefits if any, I would get with the Z87 Chipset.

(This new build consists of the i7 4770 Haswell, 16 GB DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX-650 (1mb) a regular 1280X1024 20" Viewsonic Widescreen, (BUT, I would love a 22"-24" IPS LED HD monitor and a GTX-770 (4GB), but too expensive.

So given my specs, does it really matter if I get a B85, or Z87 1150 Chipset? Are there any major differences, if I don't game?
Thanks!
Have a nice Day!

zburns
03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Hi Rivrbyte,

I will answer both of your posts in some detail tomorrow morning. Below comments are important; please consider them !!

My main concern with what you have written is potential lack of 'static control' depending on where you live; meaning someplace where it has really been cold this winter, freezing temps, etc.. My concern being that you are 'building' without any effective 'static control'. If you live in a very cold area, the potential for damage to circuit boards is significant.

Circuit boards should be placed on a semi conductive pad, in my case a 'Statico semi conductive High Density PU Foam, Model No. 1950HD121214. Please look the company up at www.statico.com. This is the url for the static pad: http://www.statico.com./products/cat_flex_pack.php , look for item 1950.

In addition to the semi conductive pad, you need to wear a wrist strap with a one (1) megohm resistor in series with the wrist strap. Just google computer wrist straps.

The Statico pad must be connected to the same 'ground' point as the wrist strap and there must be a one meg resistor between the statico pad and the ground point (ie. use a clip lead between the statico pad and one side of the one meg resistor; on the other side of one meg resistor use a similar clip lead to connect to the same ground point as the wrist strap).

The above gives you an idea of how to protect your circuit boards in a cold climate. I will be 'more detailed' tomorrow. Sorry for this late reply.

Rivrbyte
03-15-2014, 01:57 AM
Hi. Did you mean to reply to my post in the "First Boot" forum about the bad motherboard?
Well, I live in So Cal, with moderate climate, and never work around Santa Ana winds, where static abounds.
I have an anti-static wrist band that I use all the time while working with computer parts. Place Mobo on the cardboard box it came in, never the anti-static bag.
Thank you, zburns!