PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions on upcoming build.

Exo
01-15-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm planning a new build but am having problems deciding between going with liquid cooling or air cooling, and also 2 cpu options. This system will be mainly used for gaming and use of office/access, possibly some photo/video editing.

Option 1 - i7 4930K Build: rougly $3100.00
CPU: i7 4930K
Cooler: Corsair H100i
MB: EVGA LGA2011 Dark Edition
Mem: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866
HDD: Samsung Evo 1TB SSD
Vid: EVGA GTX 780
Case: Corsair 900D
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000
Optical Drive: Asus Blu-ray/dvd/cd writer

Option 2 - i7 4770K Build : rougly $2900.00
CPU: i7 4770K
MB: EVGA Z87 FTW LGA 1150
Mem: Corsair Dominator 32GB 2400
Everything else is the same

If I go liquid cooling the price goes up by around $1400.00 for cpu and vid card cooling plus the change to a liquid cooled vid card.

zburns
01-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Hello Exo and welcome to the forums.

I apologize to you for my late reply. In fact I cannot address a reply in detail until tomorrow.

Some quick comments. You have only one HD specified and it is an SSD. I would consider a WD old fashioned hard drive as a backup for the simple reason that the SSD is all electronic and is susceptible to electronic failure due to various reasons, mostly lighting strikes on a power line or a power transformer failure -- my point is that 'electronics' are subject to failure and loss of data w/o 100 % sure backup. The mechanical hard drive is mostly immune to such a failure.

Curious about 32 gig of memory. Not sure we have ever had a build with that much memory.

More tomorrow. Have to look up specs on most of your components.

zburns
01-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Take a look at the following article on SSDs currently online in PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2039540/with-an-ssd-backups-are-more-important-than-ever.html
-------
(After reading the above PC World one page article, look in the article, for the following --click on: 'The proper care and feeding of SSD storage' )
Hungry for more information about SSDs? Be sure to read: 'The proper care and feeding of SSD storage' (Click on this title)
------------
The new 'title' of what you are now reading: 'The proper care and feeding of SSD storage'
--------------

As I suspected nothing has changed regards backing up the SSD when it is used for the primary storage device.

Exo
01-21-2014, 08:48 PM
The ssd will mainly be used to install programs. I have another 2-3 drives that will be used for storage.