PDA

View Full Version : New Build Vs. Mac Pro

Khapheen
11-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

This might be outside the scope of topics, but I wanted to get some knowledgeable opinions.

I've used the advice on this site to build my own PC a couple of times, and have always been very happy with the results. Recently, I've been thinking of making some new upgrades, and have started to consider buying a Mac instead.

The reasoning is pretty simple: I'll be using an iPad more extensively soon (I fly and they're great for aviation), and will be getting a new laptop before too long, as well. I was impressed with my girlfriend's new MacBook Air, and hate the new Windows 8 machines I'm seeing everywhere. And so, I've started to consider just going all-Mac for the sake of simplicity. Plus, I like the giant monitors.

My main uses for a desktop are word processing, voice recognition, web design, and some light photo/video/ebook cover editing. I like having some speed and power, but I don't really have any huge performance bottlenecks.

Any thoughts on whether I'd be well-advised either way? Thanks as always for the great insight.

Alan G
01-08-2014, 07:34 AM
You are going to pay a premium for Apple products and if money is not an issue then it's OK to do so. You will get cross platform harmony as OSX is common to all. For the type of work you do, a Windows machine will still be the better low cost option.

Khapheen
01-08-2014, 12:18 PM
You are going to pay a premium for Apple products and if money is not an issue then it's OK to do so. You will get cross platform harmony as OSX is common to all. For the type of work you do, a Windows machine will still be the better low cost option.

Thanks. That was my overall impression, as well, but wanted to get a more informed opinion. Thanks!