PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with replacement MOBO...

sbattisti
10-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi folks,

A few years ago I built myself this PC:

- Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7860
- ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

I put it in here:

- COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED, 1x 140mm rear, 1x 230mm top, and 1x 230mm side

Here is the rest of the "stuff":

- Corsair CMFSSD-64GBG2D 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B
- CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
- Western Digital WD Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
- HIS H577F1GDG Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
- ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

I have had a variety of issues with it over the past year, beginning with some overheating issues, and now having USB over current issues. I'm beginning to wonder if the MOBO is just at the end of it's useful life, and I just can't keep spending days with my computer down.

The build itself has been adequate for my needs (general computing, some gaming, some graphics editing). So, I figure I have two options:

1. Buy the exact same MOBO and swap it out. This should cost less than $150.
2. Upgrade to a newer MOBO.

So, my question for you folks is twofold. If I choose option #2:

a. What MOBO would you recommend?
b. Which components will a new MOBO force me to change?

My budget is fairly limited. Certainly I wouldn't want to spend more than $500...

Also, if I DO swap out the MOBO, should I be able to just plug in my existing hard drives and expect the OS to work? Or will swapping the hardware cause Windows to die?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

~ Steve

zburns
10-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Hi Steve,

Not sure how much I can help you but I will try to give it a good effort.

Please describe these issues in some detail; please be specific by describing exactly what is 'overheating'. On the USB issue, what are the over current issues and how do you know 'over current' is an issue? Try to be as clear as possible description wise.

Has the cpu ever 'cut out' on you via a 'too hot issue'. If you can expand more on this topic: 'I have had a variety of issues with it over the past year' . . . I assume this means 'issues' of the non - overheating type.

Again try to be as clear and specific as possible ! !

Alan G
10-29-2013, 07:34 AM
I think you might be out of luck getting a new motherboard. I just did a quick look on line and this one is not in stock at the usual places (I saw some used ones on ebay but I don't think you want to go there). It's an older board for an older CPU that's not being manufactured any longer. If you are having overheating issues the first thing to do is remove your heatsink and clean off the CPU. Apply some fresh thermal compound and reseat it and then check the temperatures. This might solve that problem. What is the USB problem?

If you do conclude the motherboard is dying you really are probably looking at a new build and you would need to check your RAM to see if it is compatible with the new motherboard. The other components should be OK. If you do a rebuild with new components it's best to do a fresh installation of Windows as none of the drivers on the old system are likely to be compatible. Make sure to back up all your data first!