PDA

View Full Version : New user: New builder

RippedWarrior
08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here and my first time attempting a build. A wee bit of background: I need to run 3 monitors off my PC, and decided I was going to try my own build. This is how I found this forum and mysuperpc.com.

My question: I was looking at the recommended video card, MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card N660-2GD5/OC, and see that it has 4 display ports: 2xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xDisplayport.

Does this mean I could run 4 monitors off of this card?

If not, could anyone recommend how I hook up 3 monitors? My intention so far (pending resolution of the 3-monitor question) is to follow Rob's recommended build on mysuperpc.com.

Thanks in advance. I have a lot of reading to do here, and I hope I can find some way to contribute. :)

zburns
08-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Hello RippedWarrior and welcome to the forums,

It will be tomorrow before I can give you an answer. I have been delayed for little over a day on something dumb but I had to deal with it. Still am dealing with it, but I will have time tomorrow. Thank you for your patience !

zburns
08-28-2013, 08:35 PM
I talked to an MSI tech rep a short while ago; he was very helpful. According to him you can run 3 monitors off the card you have selected. The card has two DVI, one HDMI and one Display Port outputs. I assume any three of the four will allow you independent operation of three monitors. I specifically asked if four monitors could be run simultaneously; 'not on this card' was his reply. I would assume from his comment that upgrading the card would allow 4 or more monitors to be used.

I have a question: Do you already have three monitors in use, and, if so, are they the same size and the same part number ? Generally speaking, you can get short adapter cable(s) to go from one video plug to another.

The MSI rep emailed me some detailed information on , 'The Invidia Control Panel Quick Start Guide'. I will go thru it tomorrow and give you some comments from it or somehow get what they sent to me, to you !
------------
It is on the Internet, use this url to access it: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/313.96/313.96-nvidia-control-panel-quick-start-guide.pdf

I do not have a clue what is in it, but it should shed some 'detailed light' on what you are wanting to know ! Hope so !
----------
Let me know if any problem opening the url I gave you for 'Nvidia Control Panel Quick Start Guide'

RippedWarrior
08-29-2013, 12:48 AM
I talked to an MSI tech rep a short while ago; he was very helpful. According to him you can run 3 monitors off the card you have selected. The card has two DVI, one HDMI and one Display Port outputs. I assume any three of the four will allow you independent operation of three monitors. I specifically asked if four monitors could be run simultaneously; 'not on this card' was his reply. I would assume from his comment that upgrading the card would allow 4 or more monitors to be used.

I have a question: Do you already have three monitors in use, and, if so, are they the same size and the same part number ? Generally speaking, you can get short adapter cable(s) to go from one video plug to another.

The MSI rep emailed me some detailed information on , 'The Invidia Control Panel Quick Start Guide'. I will go thru it tomorrow and give you some comments from it or somehow get what they sent to me, to you !
------------
It is on the Internet, use this url to access it: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/313.96/313.96-nvidia-control-panel-quick-start-guide.pdf

I do not have a clue what is in it, but it should shed some 'detailed light' on what you are wanting to know ! Hope so !
----------
Let me know if any problem opening the url I gave you for 'Nvidia Control Panel Quick Start Guide'

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. This is the information I was trying to find. I am able to open the URL, and will look at the document in the morning.

Currently, I am running two laptops with an extra monitor on each. This has not been very efficient for me. The monitors are different sizes and brands. I plan to purchase 3 identical monitors to hook up to this computer.

Thanks again for your time and effort!