So using your recommended build,
Case Antec Sonata III with 500-Watt power supply
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5 LGA 1155
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
Ram Crucial Ballistix 8GB Kit (2x4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB DDR5
Solid State Drive Crucial M4 128GB
Hard Drive Western Digital 1TB RE4 SATA 3 Gb/s 7200rpm SATA 3
Optical Drive ASUS Blu-Ray 12x DVD RW (Black)
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit
Monitor Viewsonic 24-Inch Widescreen LED Monitor Full HD 1080p
Keyboard/Mouse Logitech MK 520

I am looking for options for a customer that needs to run a program called Softplan aka a CAD type program which this build looks more than enough, http://softplan.com/What-Type-of-Computer-Does-SoftPlan-Require-.html but just incase you guys see something I missed.

My question is the customer wants to run dual monitors, what all will I need for that? also any other recommendations.

zburns
08-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi cguyer, welcome to the MySuperPC forums,

I need to know the specific Model # of the Viewsonic monitor.
---------------
I am still looking at the specs; so far, no problem. I wound up spending some time on the 8800 GT card that was in the Softplan url link you furnished. I was surprised that Softplan would run on such a 'thin card, component wise'; obviously it will perform much faster and I assume more detail on the MSI card you choose.

I do have several questions. Over the last several years, we have had requests for graphics processors to be used only for graphics design, most of them a video card close to what you specified. But some, the request was for 'graphics design only'. One has to assume that a card designed for graphics is better than a 'gaming card' in some respects. I cannot be more specific this weekend, but I can make some calls Monday and give you something in the way of a 'feature by feature' comparison between your card choice and a similar spec wise graphics card.

Said differently, a 'pure graphic design card' has to offer more design features than 'a card designed for gaming'.

Last comment regards the 500 watt Antec psu. Want to be sure that wattage gives some safety factor with the video card running all out.

If you settle on this build 'AS IS', do you know if the owner would have an intention to 'overclock' games? If there is 'no intent' to do gaming, I would think that a 'competitive graphics card' would be more suitable than the 'gaming card above'; probably can find an 'equivalent' cost/feature wise graphics design card tomorrow.
--------

cguyer
08-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi zburns,
It's just the one recommended on the front page, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003Y3BJ7S/mysuperpc-20

If a 'pure graphic design card' has some advantages over the MSI for close to the same cost or lower and works with the build, I'd look at it. The idea was to future proof it for the next 4-5 years when the status on the program will most likely increase. The two biggest programs being run Softplan and Quickbooks. I do not expect high end gaming to be done on the machine or any over clocking. Sure, I'm open for options, first time fully building one =)

There is no rush though as it's not going to be built till the end of September or so. Thanks for the suggestions on what to look at.

zburns
08-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi cguyer, thanks for the reply !

Glad that you have some time on this. There logically should be a difference in favor of the graphics design card. Differences that have a positive influence on graphic design as well as math, I assume. Should have some comments in several days.

zburns
09-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi cguyer,

I have been 'away' for some 8 to 10 days due to an unauthorized contractor taking our front yard apart to set up a competitive TV/internet/phone service. Tearing down took a couple of hours; putting 'humpty dumpty' back together took the better part of a week plus some days -- hence the outage of my using the internet.

Regards the 'Workstation GPU' type card versus the 'gaming type' graphics card, this url is for a 'Toms Hardware' 15 page discussion about a Workstation graphics card 'performance' for 'games'. Here is the url: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/workstation-graphics-card-gaming,3425.html

It is a long 15 page article, but really not as bad as it looks. The article compares various gaming boards to a variety of workstation boards. Towards the end of the article, two particular workstation boards FirePro W9000 And W7000 , the W7000 costing 'high $ 600' to 'low $ 700'. The W9000 more bucks, I assume.

I did not go into detail on the article. I did get 'a sense of the article' being that workstation cards are very expensive compared to 'gaming cards' (maybe, cause there are a lot of 'expensive' gaming cards). But my point is that there does seem to be a 'window' where the price comparisons might be on the 'high side of reasonable' as in the $ 600 to $ 700 range.

I think the article is worth looking at in detail by both of us, then compare notes.

I need to read the article or scan thru it several times and come to some conclusion.

I apologize for the apx 10 to 11 day absence, but it was really unavoidable ! !
--------
The MSI gpu you are looking at cost apx $ 225.00. If you plan to use this for graphic design, without looking at it, but a best educated guess is that it will be slow for 'workstation graphic design'. If you compare prices within the workstation card 'arena', $ 200 is a 'way low' price meaning it is probably unsatisfactory for medium to high end workstation graphics design.

Again, I apologize for my delay; let me know if I can help further !

cguyer
01-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Ya so the customer is still delaying. I stopped by before but never replied. I started looking into workstation cards and have to agree, I will push for one, FirePro W7000 look nicest but if its a bit much will try from W5000 which even though last gen, is still plenty to run his apps. Thanks for the tips.