PDA

View Full Version : Best motherboard?

N7AS
08-21-2013, 01:53 AM
I am having CyberpowerPC build a custom PC for me. I have a choice of 3 AM3+ motherboards and can't seem to decide which one to specify.

1- ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified) -1 2x-USB3.0 6xUSB2.0

2- GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, Ultra Durable 4 Classic, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI 2xUSB3.0 6xUSB2.0

3- MSI 970A-G43 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI Bios, OC Genie II, Winki 3, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI -1 2xUSB3.0 6xUSB2.0

Which one of these would be my best choice. They are all within a dollar in price.

zburns
08-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Hello to N7AS, and welcome to MSPC forums,

My first comment is one of 'apology'. I somehow completely missed your post when it came up on Aug 21st.

My comments: If you are having CyberpowerPC build your computer for you, I would trust their opinion on the build and what components to use. There is a 'but' to this comment, I just made. No way to escape this comment.

Take a look at this url: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28872853/amd-990x-or-990fx-mb-or-970 First, the date on the url is Sept 24, 2011; it is a 'Gamespot' review mostly about whether one should use the AMD 970 chipset or the 990 chipset (the newer version). In choosing the 970 chipset, you are picking out a relatively 'old' chipset. The motherboard is designed around the chipset. So hopefully the motherboard you are choosing is 'newly' designed, as in 2011 or 2012, even tho the 970 chipset is 'older'.

All three motherboards you choose are very low cost. In the url from 'gamespot', the writer I refer to, is 'ravenguard90'; here is a portion of his quote: "as the 970 is the lowest-tier chipset, and motherboard manufacturers would usually skimp in that area to save on costs for that 'value' chipset."

The manufacturers you have chosen to consider are all high quality and have years of experience in motherboard manufacturing. So you may lack some features, but I would not be concerned about getting quality. I would trust any of these products regardless of the 970 chipset. Just be aware that later designed chipsets are on the market.

Regarding which motherboard to choose, I would suggest you take the CyperpowerPC recommendation on which one to use; definitely talk to them over the phone on this issue.

EDIT about 7am EST: Manufacturers design and bring out new product on a continuous basis; takes a couple years approximately to design and produce new electronics. That is why it is best to buy current newly designed product. This comment is not written to suggest that there is anything wrong with the 970. Progress is made in electronic manufacturing one slow step at a time over a period of years. Logically by buying the latest product, you get the product with the most up to date features and technology.