PDA

View Full Version : First Build

John6l6
08-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Looking to create a high end gaming rig that wont go out of date for a couple of years.

This is what i am looking at currently. I have a few questions though.

1. What do i need to be able to connect my computer to my wifi? My router is currently in a different room than my office.
2. What power supply do you reccommend? Someone told me I only need 600-650W?
3. Originally i had budgeted for the i7-3770 but i was told the Haswell Core i5-4670K was a better choice. Is this correct?

CPU - Haswell Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz $239.99
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $34.98
Motherboard - ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $128.00
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB LP (2 x 8GB) DDR3 - 1600 Memory - $120.35
Storage - Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5 SSD - $89
Storage - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5 7200RPM HD - $65
Video - EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2 GB - $409
Case - NZXT Phantom ATX - $80
Power - Corsair HX650 Professional - $99
Drive - Asus DRW-24B1st/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD writer - $18
OS - Micro Windows 8 64-bit - $88

TOTAL = $1,382.32

John6l6
08-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Can I achieve a 4.4Ghz overclock on this build?

zburns
08-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi John and welcome to the forums.

You may be aware that there is a significant (or appears to be) problem with a chipset portion of the Haswell which will cause a delay thru August according to articles on the internet. If you will take a look at the last post I did at 5:22 pm today on the 'Thread by oldfogy' on the Build your Own PC at the top of the first page of the forum listings.

This 5:22 pm post gives you a map to get a decent explanation of what is going on with Intel and the Haswell cpu chipset problem. It has to do with 'recognizing a USB 3.0 device' (or some description to this effect). What I read states that Intel has to provide what they call C2 stepping on the chipset that is soldered to the motherboard.

Ricky Tick or myself will respond to your build question tonight or tomorrow.
--------------------
EDIT REGARDS HASWELL CPU PROBLEM:

Please 'click' on this URL to get to my discussion on the Haswell problem: http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?5121-Recomendations-on-these-parts-please/page2 Once on the page, go to my post # 19 towards the page bottom.

zburns
08-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Before I get to your build list components, my post just above this one is about the Haswell 'C2 stepping' problem that is causing a delay in Haswell shipments. 'C2 stepping' is part of the Z87 chipset on the motherboard. The problem that C2 stepping 'cures' is a failure of USB 3.0 ports to come out of 'sleep mode' with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive plugged into the usb port. Those builders that want to use a usb 3.0 flash drive must have 'C2 stepping' version of the Z87 chipset on the motherboard. The schedule currently on the internet shows late August or early September for motherboard shipments with the C2 stepping installed on the mobo.

For immediate shipment, motherboards with the C1 stepping can be had as part of a normal order -- this is the existing version of the Z87 chipset on the motherboard. Using the mobo with the C1 stepping will not allow the use of USB 3.0 Flash Drives. C2 stepping is part of a new Z87 chipset that will be shipped to motherboard mfgs in late August or early Sept.

I will do a separate post below to deal with your 'build list'. Sorry for the confusion.

zburns
08-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Comments on John616 build list:

This url gets you to a Bit Tech review of the Haswell Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/12/intel-core-i5-4670k-haswell-cpu-review/7
The Bit Tech review is seven pages long; the url above opens you on the last page of the review, page 7, but it shows you the max operating or overclock frequency you can get to. I suggest you read the entire review several times to get a feel for the Haswell position in the Intel lineup. Ivy Bridge and even Sandy Bridge are also mentioned.

Edit Wed2:45pm:Your question: Can I achieve a 4.4Ghz overclock on this build? Answer: The Bit Tech review on page 7 claims they got to 4.6 Ghz on their overclock testing of the Haswell cpu.

Not withstanding 'the negativity surrounding the Haswell cpu, I would point out that the problem is not with the cpu itself, but rather some circuitry inside the Z87 chipset that goes on the motherboard. I would stick with the Haswell based on present information. EDIT Wed 2:45pm:Haswell cpus are being shipped with what is called 'C1 Stepping' for the Z87 chipset that is on the mobo which is the shipping configuration for Haswell since its release.

What has changed, is a 'fix' for a second version of the Z87 chipset with C2 stepping and this fix or solution allows a USB 3.0 Flash Drive to plug into a motherboard USB 3.0 connection and work/perform correctly.

The following components from your list look fine for the build: cpu, cpu cooler, motherboard, case, psu - conditional, Asus CD drive.

Need Catalog numbers for the following: RAM Memory, Video Card, Samsung SSD

Suggest the following component changes: Change WD Hard Drive from 'Blue' model to WD Black. WD Black is the 'historical' best of the WD drives; has a five year warranty; blue has 2 year warranty.

Regards the word 'conditional' on the PSU; this simply means I want to add up the total watts under overclock mode (if possible) and check the total wattage of the psu using the overclock figure. Normally to calculate the watts for a psu, it is something of a guessing game. Hard to be precise. I personally have a simple system and I use a 500 watt Antec. Your Corsair has a single +12 volt winding which is better for 'gaming' and overclocking -- but one still has to 'overshoot' the actual wattage and put some 'overage capacity' in the PSU. Should never run a computer power supply at 'full power'; need about 20 % extra unused headroom at max power.
-----------
Please get me the cat numbers and I will wrap it up.

EDIT Wed AM early: Technically I need part numbers, not catalog numbers; they can be the same but sometimes they are different.

John6l6
08-16-2013, 09:37 AM
I ended up going with SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and no standard HDD for the time being and would just add another SSD when needed.

RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10B Item #: N82E16820233367
Video - EVGA w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2773-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card Item #: N82E16814130919

Also I went with a different PCU cause it was on sale and cheaper than the HX650.

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Item #: N82E16817139010

zburns
08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Hi John6l6,

Thanks for your response on the numbers. I did find the RAM on Newegg. This is a quick post to let you know I have been working on your build.

I did find the RAM on Newegg, but I cannot find it on the As Rock Memory Support List. Here is the url for the AS Rock Z87 Extreme4 motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/ If you will go to this url and then look in the upper left you will see a data box just under the AS ROCK name at the top of the web page. (corrected error: 'upper left', not 'upper right', 11:15pm EST)

In the data box, look for Memory Support List, eight lines under Motherboard, click on Memory Support List. This is a long list. Scroll thru it. Lots of different manufacturers of memory incl Corsair. You will see Corsair at multiple places as you go thru the list. Look for this number, CML16GX3M2A1600C10B, just to the right of 'Corsair' each time you see Corsair. I do not think you will find it. This may or may not be a problem. The problem may be that the list has just not been updated. At any rate, I will call Corsair Monday am EST and ask them to double check what I am telling you.

Here is the url for the page on the EVGA video card: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2773-KR I have read thru it, and, I will comment further on it tomorrow.

Moving higher with the wattage on the psu was good; I still need to check it out under overclock conditions.
-------
I spent a lot of time on the RAM memory looking to match up your numbers with the 'Memory List'. Sort of took out a lot of time. I assume I can finish up tomorrow with the exceptions of anything I, or, we have to call a manufacturer about Monday morning.