PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations on these parts please

oldfogy
08-06-2013, 05:16 PM
I went to the TR site and did some reading. Here is what I came up with and would like some input on what could be changed.
Processor-Intell core I5-4430
Video card- MSI Gforce GTX 660
Solid state Drive-Samsung 840 120GB
Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 7200 2TB- I have always used WD hard drives?
memory-crucial 8GB DDR3-1600
powersupply-corsair cx600M
dvd-Asus DRW 24Bist
sound card-Ssus Xonar DSX if I use one motherboard has sound.
motherboard- Gigabite GA Z87-D3HP
case-corsair carbide 400R-I need the 3.0 usb and headphone jack that is on the front.

Now, What needs changing.

zburns
08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Hi Oldfogy,

I apologize for not getting to you last nite. Tried starting about 9 pm and just decided it would be better trying to 'think thru' your build today; lo and behold, I had computer problems that were largely due to a foreign site. Really had to get creative to get it out of my computer.

Regards your psu choice, I looked at this review on 'Tech Power Up', 11 pages long and I am a little concerned. It is about $ 80 at Newegg; it has only one winding for the +12 volt supply (46 amps I think). Here is the url for the Tech Power Up review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX600M/11.html Please go to page 11 of the review; note the 'thumbs' down symbol and the writers comments about 'small capacitors' in the 3.3 volt section of the psu. My opinion, it is unusual to see such a comment; not saying it is not correct. But it is a 'low cost psu' and a reviewer details out this comment that along with the single +12 volt winding and the price -- it just does not get my volt.

Antec has a 650 watt with 4 +12 volt rails for about $ 30 more; your cpu choice prevents an 'overclock' choice. The Antec power supply puts out 30 amps for each of the 4 +12 volt rails. Here is the url for the Antec 650 watt psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371056 . Assuming you will not be 'overclocking' for gaming purpose, the Antec is a much better choice. Here is the url for the Antec page on this psu, Antec ESU Platinum:
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704513&fid=11.

The Corsair case seems fine. Here is the url for the (last page) of the Tech Power Up review on the case. Again look at the conclusion on the last page of the review.

I am curious as to why you picked a 2 TByte Seagate Hard Drive in lieu of a 1 TB. I agree with you on the Western Digital drives. WD is my choice but I cannot justify any opinion as to why one is better than the other. I will look at a comparison between the one and two TB models regarding 'access time' when 'relatively empty' and 'close to full'.

I am going to stop here and continue tomorrow on the items below:

Intel i5-4430 cpu and the Gigabite motherboard will take some time. The remaining items will be the video card, ssd, memory, dvd and sound card are all probably fine, but I will wait until tomorrow to take a look at them.

oldfogy
08-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had decided to go with the 1 TB last night. I also saw that the 400R corsair case was on sale as was the corsair 650watt psu on newegg. I am counting my funds and it doesn't look like I will be able to afford the build just yet. I will have to buy windows 7 pro too, am currently running xp. Is a solid state drive worth the money. I have never used a computer with one in it. I could buy most of my parts now and the rest next month maybe. I am so tired of this slooooow computer. I used antec on my last build and its still running.

zburns
08-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I have an idea as to why the slowness occurs on your present computer, but I need to finish the above before going off on 'that tangent'. Finish up hopefully in the morning. Please read thru the two reviews I gave you on the case and the power supply; they will help you make a good decision.

oldfogy
08-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Yes I see why the antec psu is better and I think I would go with the three hundred 2 case or something else. I had a hard time picking the case.

RickyTick
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Yes I see why the antec psu is better and I think I would go with the three hundred 2 case or something else. I had a hard time picking the case.

Have you looked at the Corsair Carbide 200R? Overall, it may be a better option than the Antec Three Hundred Two.
Comparison http://techreport.com/review/23965/corsair-carbide-series-200r-vs-antec-three-hundred-two

oldfogy
08-08-2013, 06:57 PM
I have read so much my head is spinning. Actually I had debated between the 200R, 400R, antec 300 & 2, and the antec sonata III.

zburns
08-08-2013, 08:20 PM
I have a Sonata III; it is really a nice looking case from the outside; you need to be sure that the audio and the headphone output are correct for your needs (I am just commenting; do not read anything negative into it).

I read a full review on the DSX card and it looks like the best choice according to the reviewer.
-----------
Hard Drives: Can you give me the specific catalog number of the Seagate 1TB drive you are now looking at. When I looked on the Google page, I saw several entries for Seagate Drives manufactured in 2009. I would like to compare the Seagate drive to a WD drive, feature for feature including the warranty. I believe the WD warranty is a 'limited 5 year warranty'; if so Seagate should match it. If not I would be concerned. A hard drive is just a spinning platter but with bearings and a center spindle; the life of the drive is obviously dependent on these components. IE, the longer the warranty the better the spindle/bearing mechanism.

Tomorrow I will wrap it up, I hope. Still have to spend time on the cpu, motherboard and video card.
--------------
EDIT, about 10:30 pm EST: Believe it or not, the list lacks a component -- cooler for the cpu! Take a look at this one; long time 'brand': http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 and not expensive !

Another comment on the hard drive. You need, above all, a five year warranty that covers the HD 'crashing'. Take a look at both manufacturers for 'the length of the warranty'.

oldfogy
08-09-2013, 07:34 AM
I thought the cpu came with the cooler. I have decided to go with a wd hard drive. As to which one, I don't know. The seagate was a recomendation from the tecrepublic sight. Like I said, I always have used wd drives. I'll just have to pick one. On the cpu cooler it had a newer version, would u stay with the old one or go with the newer one? This is not going to be a heavy gaming machine, I just wanted one that would last a long time and not get slow in a hurry. Thanks

zburns
08-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Good morning,
Reference your post just above this one. Several topics. You are correct, the cpu does come with a factory (intel OEM fan) (Original Equipment Manufacturer means OEM) fan. On this forum, we almost never mention the OEM fan. Several new builders have used them; there is nothing wrong with using the factory fan. By buying a non-OEM fan such as the one I suggested last nite, your cpu might run cooler by some apx 5 degrees C plus or minus a couple of degrees. This would mean that the non OEM fan is more efficient at cooling than the factory OEM fan. However this is another subject altogether. We can research, call a manufacturer, somebody can tell us 'how much cooler the cpu will run using the non-OEM fan'.

Again, the fan is a separate subject; I never think of the cpu 'tied or connected' to the factory fan that comes with it; my mistake.
---------------
Change the subject to a possible reason your present computer has become slow over a long period of time. Please post back your present hard drive mfg and model number. If possible try to find out how much empty space is left on the drive.

Somehow, your hard drive is going back and forth from the original spreadsheet entered data to newly entered data -- said differently, old data at one point 'physically' at one end of the hard drive platter but then new data 'physically' at the other end of the hard drive. Your present software must require access to both 'data sets' -- the old data at the beginning of the HD, the new data at the end (or close to the end) of the HD. The important point or statement is the 'slowness' has to be caused on a day by day basis, due to the fact that the 'early (years earlier) HD data' plus the new HD data have to both be accessed essentially at the same time to complete an existing software spreadsheet operation.
----------------
The physical components that make up your computer do not slow down over time. Dust, overheating, a component slowly failing are exceptions -- but exceptions like these manifest themselves in a much more severe failure mode such as 'a component burning up' or 'an open circuit caused by a failed component. Your problem seems to be 'organized', ie. the more data you enter into the spreadsheet, the slower the computer becomes.

(I assume you have periodically cleaned dust out of the computer) Another possible problem is some memory components on a RAM stick failing; however, your slowdown problem is 'evenly organized' over a long period of time, I think. Hard to imagine a RAM stick component(s) failing 'in a organized manner' over time ! !

zburns
08-09-2013, 09:58 AM
You should be able to pull up the amount of space left on the existing slow computer hard drive. If you can, please post back the size of the old hard drive, and the amount of space left or the amount stored.

In my above 'long' post, I mentioned or implied that 'a failed component(s) on a RAM stick' could be causing the slow down. You would have to have a RAM module(s) that are soldered on the sticks to be failing -- but the failure would have to be a module with an open circuit, not a short circuit (short circuit would shut the computer down or cause smoke or some 'burning' smell -- ie. I think you would notice a short) An open circuit module on a RAM stick would tend to cause the slow down problem, but I think it would take more than one module (on the RAM stick) to really slow it down.
--------------
The key to figuring it out is the amount of data presently stored on the Hard Drive. If it is about 75 % full or worse, I would guess that current data on the drive also requires 'early posted data' on the drive some years ago to interact with current data -- so the drive runs back and forth between 'early' posted HD data and 'present posted' HD data.

If the drive is almost completely full, then most certainly, the drive is the slowdown cause.
--------
Note: A short circuit in a RAM chip or module would be a short circuit on one of the power supply windings and would cause obvious visible signs - bad burnt smell, smoke, fuse blowing, etc..
----------

zburns
08-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Here are the urls for the Intel i5-4430 and the i7-4770; Intel prices $ 187 and $ 312 respectively. No overclock on the i7. The i5 Intel 3,3.2 Ghz spec: http://ark.intel.com/products/75036/ and the i7 Intel 3.4,3.9 Ghz spec: http://ark.intel.com/products/75122/ . Here is the url for the i7 with a K suffix: http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/

I provided the operating frequency (clock speed) and turbo speed for both the i5 and the i7. The i7 does not have a K suffix, this means no overclock on the i7. So the two Intel spec sheets are exactly comparable for clock speed and turbo frequency. The i7 with a K suffix means it can be overclocked; the clock speed of this cpu is 3.5 and 3.9 Ghz. (For some reason they bumped the K version clock speed up 0.1 Ghz -- not a factor).

So the real difference is that the i7 runs about 14 % faster in non-turbo mode and about 22% faster in turbo mode. If you used a i7 with K suffix, you can overclock up to 4.7 Ghz according to the TR at this url: http://techreport.com/review/24889/haswell-overclocked-the-core-i7-4770k-at-4-7ghz . But unless you do serious gaming, you have no need for the overclock. I just wanted to point out all the choices.

I left this comment out: The overclocked i7 will go to 4.7 Ghz which is 57 % faster than i5 version. But this is an unfair comparison unless you are a gamer and want to run the cpu right to the 'limit'.
--------------
Everything else looks fine. I will probably add some comments on the motherboard and gpu cards tomorrow.

Unless the speed difference between i7 and i5 seems important, I would recommend sticking with the i5. Regardless of the choice, the socket number is a new version 1150 instead of 1155.

The wattage on all three (i5 and two i7's) is 84 watts. The wattage being the same makes the only difference the clock freq and the max turbo freq for the non overclocked i5 and i7.

zburns
08-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Note: I deleted a portion of my posts on the previous page regards the reasons why a computer can become so slow' in favor of the url below.

To get a good sample of the reasons your old computer became so slow, go to this url for a page full of different articles about the 'slowness subject'; this is far more comprehensive data than I was able to provide.

Here is the url: https://www.google.com/search?q=desktop+computer+runs+slow&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS475US494&oq=reasons+a+desktop+computer+runs+slow&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0j69i62l3.16214j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

zburns
08-10-2013, 10:52 AM
I looked at all the Gigabyte motherboard choices (on Newegg) for some time, read the 'user reviews' on the Newegg page for the mobo, read the (conclusions) portions of the TR report last. I see no reason to make any changes.

You indicated you were going to change to Western Digital for the hard drive and my only comment regards WD is to suggest that you only use the 'WD Black' models for the hard drive. Again this comment goes to long term reliability and no problems (hopefully for years). I am in my fifth year using a WD black hard drive -- no problems (HD as well as anything else) at all since doing my build.

Any questions or comments are welcome.

oldfogy
08-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks so much for all your help. I think the video card is going out on this computer. It blinks sometimes and and sometimes it dosent. Anyway, I am going to build me a new computer and will probably go with the I5 4430. Thanks again for all the help and input.

zburns
08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Monday morning, Aug 12, 2013. oldfogy, please read immediately ! !

There is a hiccup on Haswell cpus. It has to do with an earlier problem when Haswell was released by Intel. Gigabyte likewise may be involved ! ! The problem probably has been cleared by now from Intel's viewpoint, but I do not know that specifically!! If you have ordered parts or plan to, like today, please put them on hold. If you have placed an order, call the supplier; they should be aware of the problem and perhaps they have replacement stock on shelves, etc..

Here are some urls that describe the problem. I will firm this up and comment back later today.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/report-intel-haswell-processors-prone-to-overheating/ (the Haswell cpu chip is a smaller package than the Ivy Bridge and, I think, is supposed to run hotter because of the reduction in size and I presume the same number or greater of transistors) Note: This url concerns a 'heat' problem which is not the basic problem described below. This url and the ones below 'might' be separate topic wise from the ones below -- more later on this topic. Separated this url from the ones below for the reason just stated.
----------
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-haswell-usb-3-0-issues-over-in-july-2013-intel-announces-c2-stepping-chipsets_15374

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-haswell-usb-3-0-issues-over-in-july-2013-intel-announces-c2-stepping-chipsets_15374#133gwT2j96FPmDjY.99
Note: The above two 'legit reviews' urls are different in the 'ending instructions' and I do not know why, but either one seems to pull up the exact same article -- with no differences between the two.
----------------
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/processors/haswell-everything-you-need-to-know-about-intel-s-latest-core-processors-1156004
Not sure that this article addresses the problem; point is the date of this article is within the 'occurrence time frame of the problem' ! !
------------
Whatever the problem, the cpu and motherboard (chipset) are or may be involved; your requirement should be that the 'only product you 'receive from a supplier' is a product they 'received after corrective action has been taken by Intel and Gigabyte (Gigabyte if applicable).

Last comment: The suppliers should be way ahead, timewise, of this MSPC posting, and, I would hope if you have placed an order, that the supplier you have ordered from has already alerted you to both the problem and solution ! !
---------------
The purpose of this MySuperPC posting today is to alert you to a possible problem with Haswell cpus just in case you are placing or have placed an order for the cpu and the Gigabyte motherboard or another mobo for the Haswell. Later today I will post an update.

zburns
08-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Hi Oldfogy, I have more information. It is a little complicated.

Here is a url for a company called APC: http://apcmag.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-haswell-lynx-point-chipset.htm
They have a good article on the Haswell problem and it is dated for late July which is good. The explanations are good and easy to understand. The title of the article is the following: 'What you need to know about Haswell Lynx Point chipset'.

Here are two excerpts from the article: #1: According to the new PCN, Intel will simply run down inventory of C1-stepping parts before eventually swapping to C2 by July 31 at the latest. With hardware partners told that full electrical regression testing won’t be necessary and that the C2-stepping is pin-for-pin compatible with C1, the changes look to be quite minor, but just annoying enough to require a full chipset stepping.

# 2: Had the bug been solvable by a software fix, it’d be far less of an issue. Given the timeline of replacement chipsets, it’s unlikely we’ll see C2-stepping product hit the streets in volume before the end of August. Even so, we don’t see the point of purchasing bug-affected products given that replacements will be only less than a couple of months away.

Please read the whole article; obviously a better understanding will evolve. I do not recommend going back to IVY BRIDGE unless you are really stuck with an immediate replacement requirement. Ask any questions regards the problem.

The C1 stepping parts of the Z87 chipset are the problem; the fix is called C2 stepping. The problem has to do with 'reading a USB 3.0 signal or ignoring it' (something like that -- not really sure right now). Intel has to ship the motherboard supplier the C2 parts, and, I assume the mobo mfg will remove C1 parts and replace with C2 or they will simply use fresh motherboards with the C2 stepping part. -- this is all a guess on my part.

I did talk to Gigabyte in Los Angelus, and, I was told 'about the end of August' was a target shipment date.

Let me know anyway we can help. Tell me the size of your present HD and how much space is presently occupied. Maybe you can clean it up to where it is faster.

RickyTick
08-12-2013, 07:57 PM
This was an issue way back even before Haswell was released. Hardware.info brake the story in March. http://us.hardware.info/news/33716/usb-30-problems-for-intels-haswell

It's been corrected and not a problem any longer. The whole problem was about devices connected to USB 3.0 and coming out of sleep and/or hibernation mode.

Nothing to fear.

zburns
08-12-2013, 08:25 PM
It is still a problem ! Look at the url in the post above mine, here it is: http://apcmag.com/what-you-need-to-k...nt-chipset.htm Good article, explains it probably very good. The problem is the USB 3.0 port not coming out of sleep when a flash drive is plugged in. The earlier problem was the ports themselves. This is a new problem and is only for Haswell evidently.

I called Gigabyte this pm ref when they will be able to ship motherboards with the modified chipset and it is late August. You can get a motherboard with the C-1 stepping but will not help USB 3.0 handle a flash drive. To use a flash drive on USB 3.0, evidently the C-1 chip does not work. Therefore, the C-2 stepping chip is required; and it will take until mid to late August, or even early September to get a Haswell cpu with C-2 stepping.

(I just assumed the problem was the ports earlier)

EDIT Monday morning, Apr 13, 2013

The above url is for the article in APC Magazine and is the only source of the data I have relayed on this forum. For availability, builders should contact the manufacturer for the manufacturers specific motherboard that contains a specific chipset desired by the builder.

oldfogy
08-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the info. My father passed away on Monday so the computer build has been put on hold for a while. Maybe they will have the new ones out by the time I can start on it again. Thanks for all the help so far.