PDA

View Full Version : Need to build a new computer question

oldfogy
07-31-2013, 07:37 PM
My old slow computer needs to be upgraded. I have been watching on the my super pc page for an updated build. Been waiting for a while so here is my question. If you was going to build a computer would you go by Robs build on his page or would you go with components that are a little newer. I think I would want to go with something newer but do not know what works well together and what don't. I have built two of his builds and both are still running fine. Just slow by todays standards. I need a good fast computer to use as a work station, listen to music, and maybe play a few games. It will probably be something that I will use for ten years. My last computer i built was in 05. I will be running windows 7 pro. I have some old software that I have to run from windows xp. Thanks for reply.

zburns
07-31-2013, 09:25 PM
I need a good fast computer to use as a work station, Is there any specialized software (workstation oriented) in addition to Win 7 that you will be running ? For the computer to be fast you will want a high operating frequency which is cpu dependent and enough RAM so that memory does not slow down the cpu. As much info as to what you will use the computer for (besides music and games) would be helpful.

oldfogy
07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
I really don't remember what programs that I will need, they were old microsoft programs that I use on xp that were used on win 98. I downloaded win 7 upgrade advisor and it said what would not run. I had no intention of upgrading just did it to see. I did some digging and found out that win 7 pro will run xp programs. If it dosent I will have to buy new software. Anyway I will be using the computer for normal work, printing, spread sheets, and the normal office crap. Will also listen to music, play a few games and of course will be on the internet. This thing will have to last me a long time. That is why I said fast computer. It dosent have to be super fast. Its just that I will use it for a long time. The processor in this old machine is an amd athlon xp2600. You just about have to do things one at a time. Thanks

RickyTick
08-01-2013, 09:36 AM
I usually update the recommended build list every quarter, but just haven't had a chance lately. You can see the links in my signature below. Otherwise, read through this for a comprehensive list of different builds. It's a complete guide and is very current.
http://techreport.com/review/24979/system-guide-current

What do you think?

oldfogy
08-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Thank you Ricky Tick, this is what I have been looking for! I also had seen your recommended builds but was waiting and looking for something more up to date. Thanks again.