PDA

View Full Version : New computer build

imagemaker5150
07-08-2013, 02:20 PM
I am planning to build a new computer and I would appreciate any comments or recommendations on my parts list. I am a photographer and I use my computer primarily for digital image retouching and manipulation. I also use Corel Painter regularly. My main concern with the new computer is speed primarily and budget secondarily. Funds are limited so I can't afford any unnecessary parts. Here is my current list:

1. Intel i7 4770K third or fourth gen. processor (Would use i7 3770K for third gen processor. Would need recommendation on the mother board) I would hope to use the stock Intel cooler if not overclocking.

2. Gigabyte GA Z87X UD3H ATX motherboard

3.16GB Crucial D3 1600 memory

4. Corsair Carbide 200R case

5. Samsung 120GB SSD drive for operating system and programs

6. WD Black 1TB mechanical HD

7. Gigabyte GT 630 1GB D3 video card (I don't use it for gaming. Just want adequate card for use with Photoshop CS6)

8. Corsair CS 500W 80+ Bronze power supply

9. Windows 7 Pro operating system (I know Windows 8 is out but would rather use Windows 7 )

I won't be using the computer for gaming but I might consider overclocking somewhere down the line. This would be my first build and I don't want to stray too far from "normal" operation.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

joenewbie
07-08-2013, 03:26 PM
I like the build.

The only thing I'd point out is the case, good case, but make sure you actually check out that power/reset "rocker" button, just a personal pet peeve of mine but that one aspect to the case seems very shoddy in it's otherwise quality build, I'm partial to Corsair products in general though so... *shrug*

By the way, Windows 8 sucks if you're not on a touchscreen especially, so big thumbs up to Win7 choice.

Good luck!

imagemaker5150
07-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info joenewbie.

RickyTick
07-08-2013, 08:23 PM
That's a terrific build. The only suggestion I would make is to consider a slightly larger SSD. Maybe something like the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb.

With a Z87 motherboard you might consider a GT640 video card to take full advantage of the pci-e 3.0 interface. The GT630 is pci-e 2.0.
Something like either of these would be fine
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162113
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121643

imagemaker5150
07-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Ricky.

Alan G
07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
I just did a new build a couple of months ago and am also a photographer. If you are just doing photography, you really are not going to need overclocking features and that can save you $100-150 depending on the motherboard and CPU prices. I went with an i5 Ivy Bridge processor and from my testing with both LR and PS it runs as fast as I need it to so you might consider dropping down a class. I agree with RickyTick's suggestion on moving up to a better graphics card but disagree on the need for a 256GB SSD if cost is an issue. I have the Samsung 840 Pro 129 GB SSD and with all my software installed and running it only takes up about 45GB so there is still plenty of room left. I'm not a fan of Corsair PSUs as they don't manufacture them and would suggest getting a Seasonic instead.

RickyTick
07-10-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm not a fan of Corsair PSUs as they don't manufacture them and would suggest getting a Seasonic instead.

Seasonic is the maker of Corsair psu's. ;)

Good advice on the SSD for saving some money. Since I use MS Office a lot, I need a larger drive to hold it all.

joenewbie
07-11-2013, 03:13 AM
Seasonic is the maker of Corsair psu's. ;)

Good advice on the SSD for saving some money. Since I use MS Office a lot, I need a larger drive to hold it all.

Is there an advantage to using MS Office vs Openoffice, which I use Openoffice because I just think MS overcharges for most/all of their products. I haven't run into a single instance where MS Office was needed that Openoffice couldn't do. I'm big on using open source stuff.

Only reason I didn't do a Linux build is because it's difficult to get high end games to function properly through WINE or other "emulation" type software.

RickyTick
07-11-2013, 06:39 PM
You should look into LibreOffice since OpenOffice is now defunct.

There are advantages to using MS Office since it is the de facto business software. Sometimes files don't convert perfectly from MS to OO, or vice-versa. If you emailing/sharing documents and spreadsheets with business associates, it's much better with MS Office. However, if you're just using it for personal use, then the open source stuff works great.