PDA

View Full Version : amd/intel moment of truth!

harotoast
08-20-2007, 11:23 PM
If i've been readin right a lot of the people on these forums and others agree that intel has slingshoted in front of amd and is the much more superior product. that being said, are robs picks the amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ processor and asus m2n32 deluxe socket am2 board still a good way to go if you're a newbie computer builder and arent sure what to get? Or is it better to get an intel dual or quad core and a good intel based motherboard? if so, which mobo/cpu do you have or endorse?

grmokbel
08-21-2007, 02:22 AM
If i've been readin right a lot of the people on these forums and others agree that intel has slingshoted in front of amd and is the much more superior product. that being said, are robs picks the amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ processor and asus m2n32 deluxe socket am2 board still a good way to go if you're a newbie computer builder and arent sure what to get? Or is it better to get an intel dual or quad core and a good intel based motherboard? if so, which mobo/cpu do you have or endorse?

i'm having the same dilemma since i'm a newbie computer builder also, anyone care to shed some light on this?

The Wise Monkey
08-21-2007, 05:34 AM
At this moment in time, I would recommend intel 10 times out of 10, simply because they offer much better bang for your buck, especially the e6x50 range with the 1333 fsb.

Several good reasons to buy intel:

1. Better performance
2. Runs cooler
3. Better CPU fan
4. Better bang for buck

As for motherboards, I am currently using the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DSR3, with an e6750, and that is a great combination. The mobo supports DDR3, so is more futureproof.

As Jamie is always recommending, the Asus Striker Extreme or... some board I can't remember... something about SLI-DELUXE are very good Asus boards.

Jamie Nixx
08-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Asus P5N-E :)

This motherboard is the best bang for any amount of bucks but its quite cheap, it is what i recommend to all newbs and it also supports 1333 FSB so you can stick the latest C2D in with no probs at all, if you check some other newbie builders on the site they have based their builds around this mobo from advice from me and i am yet to have a complaint :D

I do like the Striker Extreme though, i was thinking about building my next computer around it but this is one of the most expensive boards around.

Not really much i can add, except the fact that whatever Intel your going to get, its going to be good.

Reading benchmarking results on the net, the E6400 outperformed all of the FX range in most apps and games not to mention most of the X2 range.

Fans are much better quality, much better than some after market fans as well.

They run a lot cooler than AMD, so if your looking to get into overclocking its a good place to start.

harotoast
08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
so for procesor, the e6750's the way to go (http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014834&cid=CPU.84 that one, to make sure?)

as for motherboard, what do you guys think of this package: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowBundle&cmd=pd&pid=015052&cid=MB if its a good one, il have extra cash so should i bump up to the lower end quad core? is it that big or good performance boost?

looks good to me but what ive learned in the last 3 or 4 weeks of computer research and planning my opinions pretty worthless.

also, is it a factor that that board isnt sli ready? in 6-8-10 months when i would end up doubling up video cards, would there be a point in getting another at the same level as the 8800 gts oc2 i'll be getting?

and ati vs nVidia for that matter, thoughts?

yes, watch me not so slowly steer this thread away from intel vs amd

Jamie Nixx
08-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Yep thats the CPU to go for.

As for that motherboard, its complete tosh, i hate the Intel chipset.

Get the Asus P5N-E SLI board and throw in some Corsair XMS2 memory.

Personally i prefer Nvidia, but a lot of people say good things about ATI.

In my opinion Nvidia make superior cards, and its a lot easier to work out what one to go for, ATI are now owned by AMD, and you know where they are....

As for SLI, it is very very overated and not worth the money, one high end card will always outperform two mid end cards, and to prove this and if its ok with Rob i am going to be doing a review of SLI to actually see the results for myself first hand as i haven't run SLI for ages, and posting it on this website, pics as well to prove to people once and for all that its not worth it............or, if it is

harotoast
08-21-2007, 06:25 PM
damn, quick response you probably didnt catch my edit about if i have extra $$, is it worth bumping uip from e6750 to that lower quad core processor, the q6600?

and is that mobo you keep raving about the one here: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=012178&cid=MB.157

my doubt comes from such an inexpensive motherboard being so good, expeccially when its competitors are 2-300 dollars. cheapers better mind you, im 15 on a working students budget

screatch the edit thing for sli, you matched... still checkin out the quad cpuu though

Jamie Nixx
08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Thats the one, don't let it fool you, that is one of the best Intel/gaming boards around now.

Don't let big expense get you into thinking you are getting something great, its often the case that you are dissapointed.

I wouldn't get the Quad, its more future proof but, the E6750 has a newer core with a 1333FSB and the quad only has 1066FSB, plus some new games don't even have COre 2 duo support let alone Core 2 quad.

If you can get the quad cheaper, i would say go for it, but if not, don't bother, the E6750 will be pulling punches for a while yet.

harotoast
08-21-2007, 06:40 PM
alrighty, sound good

to cover the last base here, theres a lot of corsair xms2 memory on canadacomputers.com, for one, which type specifically do you recommend?

Jamie Nixx
08-21-2007, 06:44 PM
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=012573&cid=RAM.835

There you go mate.

harotoast
08-21-2007, 06:53 PM
you're awesome man, thanks a ton

TON

Jamie Nixx
08-21-2007, 07:03 PM
No worries mate, us youngers gotta keep building the comps, show the oldies what its all about HAHAHAHAHA

Let us know how you get on with your build and if you have any probs setting up the mobo give me a shout ;)