PDA

View Full Version : linux lets you tinker, Windows does not

small_bear
08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Rob,

thanks for a very nifty site--it looks like a great set of instructions, I hope to try it out with my kids when they are older. meanwhile, I think you (and some readers) might like to know a bit more about linux than your main page describes. that is, someone who goes to all the trouble to build their own PC is likely to want to tinker with the OS as well. I'm not a linux fanboy--I mostly use macs. I just have a lot of respect for linux.

you say: "There's no compelling reason to switch to Linux, however. Not money, not security, not customer support, and not compatibility."

well, for me, some compelling reasons are:
- to learn by doing! much like building your own hardware, you can have a blast and learn heaps by installing your own OS, making mistakes, installing a different one -- all free and (these days) easy
- money (see below)
- not to support a convicted monopolist.

if all you want to do is play games and download, uh, "images", Windows will work. (if you want customer support, you might as well buy off-the-shelf hardware too.)

and also you say: "It's not likely that a full-featured, reasonably supported version of Linux will be substantially cheaper than an upgrade edition of Windows."

oops -- this has already happened. 1) there are completely free, as in $0.00, just download it (legally), enterprise-grade versions of linux. Redhat Enterprise, version 5, in particular. the US National Security Agency approves this version of linux (it has selinux). because its open source, folks have recompiled the RH sources and have made them available free. there are several, like CentOS and Scientific Linux (just google for them). these are effectively *identical* to RH in all but name and branding artwork. crucial to me (I have a small lab with two servers for brain imaging) was that it is SUPPORTED: Redhat will be putting out security and other updates for at least 6 or more years. Its well documented (being Redhat), and the CentOS folks are really helpful--I've found their support boards to be extremely friendly and helpful.

2. Ubuntu is a free, lightweight version of linux that is slicker on the desktop for those who don't need industrial strength (enterprise) grade software.

3. you can get LiveCD versions of linux (e.g., Knoppix) that run from CD, allowing you to try out linux without doing a thing to your currently installed system. try it out, free, and risk free.

overall, my point is that some versions of linux are free and really good! people who like to tinker might well be encouraged to try them out.

--small_bear

RickyTick
06-06-2008, 10:11 PM
These spammers are persistent.

The Wise Monkey
06-07-2008, 06:56 AM
At least this one was making jokes. XD

Anyhoo, back on topic, I do agree that Linux, Ubuntu especially, is starting to be a valid alternative to Windows. I used to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu, and both have their pros and cons.

Like you suggested, I would definitely recommend trying out a Live CD for a few days, or just installing Ubuntu for free before purchasing a copy of Vista/XP.

RickyTick
06-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I guess you didn't notice the original post was from August. LOL

You would think the spammers would at least post on a current thread.

The Wise Monkey
06-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Heh, yeah - I just saw that there was a new reply. XD