PDA

View Full Version : linux lets you tinker

small_bear
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Rob (and everyone),

thanks for a very nifty site--it looks like a great set of instructions, I hope to try it out. meanwhile, I think you and readers might like to know a bit more about linux -- someone who goes to the trouble to build their own PC is likely to want to tinker with the OS as well. I'm not a linux fanboy--I mostly use macs. I just have a lot of respect for linux.

"There's no compelling reason to switch to Linux, however. Not money, not security, not customer support, and not compatibility."

well, for me, some compelling reasons are:
- to learn by doing. much like building your own hardware, you can have a blast a learn heaps by installing your own OS, making mistakes, installing a different one -- all free and easy
- money (see below)
- not to support a convicted monopolist

"It's not likely that a full-featured, reasonably supported version of Linux will be substantially cheaper than an upgrade edition of Windows."

oops -- this has already happened. there are completely free, as in $0.00, just download it (legally), enterprise-grade versions of linux. Redhat Enterprise, version 5, in particular. the US National Security Agency approves this version of linux (it has selinux). because its open source, folks have recompiled the sources and have made them available free. there are several, like CentOS and Scientific Linux. these are effectively *identical* to RH in all but name and branding artwork. crucial to me was that it is supported: Redhat will be putting out security and other updates for at least 6 or more years. Its well documented, and the CentOS folks are really helpful--I've found their "customer support" to be extremely friendly and helpful.

Ubuntu is a lightweight version of linux that is slicker on the desktop for those who don't need enterprise grade software. I run a small lab, have a couple servers.

overall, my point is that these are free, so people who like to tinker might well be encouraged to try them out. Rob, you might want to try them out.

--small_bear

Jamie Nixx
08-19-2007, 06:57 PM
The free operating systems have proved that in some aspects they can be a lot better than XP.

I would use them all the time but being a gamer i need xp and Vista, although i do wish the little guys got more recognition.

Compare £60 for XP and Vista and £0 for Ubuntu and Linux, and what do you get :eek:

If your not a gamer i would give it a big thumbs up.