PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique - soon to launch new pc

Buckwh34t
08-19-2007, 03:47 PM
This is my first computer I am making from scratch. Any advice would be appreciated. I have been getting most of my information to create this computer from this site, Tom’s Hardware and Newegg reviews.

Specs:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard $135

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 $170

Rosewill RP-550-2 550W (ps) $57

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW (case) $50

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB PC2 6400 $107

SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB 3.0Gb/s $120

ZALMAN CNPS 9500 CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink $49

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound $6

Other components imported from my old system: Nvidea 6800, dvd/cd drives, Ethernet card.

All this for about $700 !

My thoughts: I struggled with going Intel. It would cost only $40 more to get the board/chipset I wanted but according to Tom’s the price/performance seemed negligible. Went with ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe instead of Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless mainly because I don’t need wireless and just seems like something else to break. I decided to forgo the recommended Antec case because of several complaints about the built in ps. Cool Master and Rosewill ps seemed to be a better option. Went with Corsair instead of Crucial. Its cheaper and Corsair seems like a quality product. Not really sure about the performance difference since that part of the chart is missing for 2G Ballstix 6400 vs Other PC2-6400 comparisons (http://www.mysuperpc.com/ram.shtml).

Construction will hopefully begin in a couple of weeks. Just have to make sure I have a solid build.

Thanks so much for your website Rob, couldn’t have gotten this far without you.

Jamie Nixx
08-19-2007, 04:43 PM
At the moment there is no point going down the AMD road.

The fact is, that a cheap core 2 duo will wipe out an AMD.

If you are using this forum as a guide, i would have thought you would have had a bit more sense to go down the Intel route, look at some other threads and the info myself and some others have given, then you will see that there is no point to an AMD at the moment.

One of the best Intel boards out now and the best bang for your buck is an Asus P5N-E SLI board and a lot of people have built there systems around this motherboard following my advice.

My other recommendation is for a C2D E6750 which strange as it seems is a lot cheaper than the E6600 despite being faster.

If i have failed to convince you, that is a very good board for AMD and everything else looks ship shape and good luck :)

Buckwh34t
08-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks Jamie for your fast reply. I have seen the information that core 2 duo is superior. To be honest I have always used AMD in the past and over the past few months all my research has been with AMD and its boards, I feel more familiar with them. I am willing to go Intel, just tell me a rookie, like myself could do it... I had looked up the Asus P5N-E SLI board on Newegg and many reviewers rated it as not very newbee friendly. I have a basic familiarity with bios but it seemed that I would need a better understanding than I currently have to install and use the board.

Jamie Nixx
08-19-2007, 05:47 PM
:eek: Newegg said that mate.

I can't believe what i am reading, the reason i suggested it you is because, one it is a very good Intel/Gaming board, and two its a really easy board to setup, easiest i have ever setup and i have had a lot of boards :rolleyes:

My first build a couple of years ago was AMD and my second and so on, and i am really sad that they have not been able to keep up, two years ago they had a stranglehold on the market, but you have to take your hat off to Intel, they have produced something amazing in the new cores, and the rate that they churn them out is staggering, they seem to have new cores out every month, whereas AMD haven't for ages, i hope the pick themselves up because they are in trouble, them buying out ATI hasn't helped them out either.

Going back to the board, if you decide to get it, which i hope you do, i will run you through everything including setup and Bios.

Whats your budget and i can suggest the best C2D (should you want that now) for your money.

Buckwh34t
08-19-2007, 06:22 PM
You have convinced me to go Intel. Hopefully AMD does make a comeback, I think we all are hoping this to curtail a future monopoly.

I am pretty happy with the amount I am spending on the pc. I would go for an increase of $50-$100 if it really made a significant performance difference.

Jamie Nixx
08-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Considering you was going for the 6000, i reckon your best bet would be the E6750.

That will outperform any AMD and is around the same price as the 6000 if i am not mistaken.

The Wise Monkey
08-20-2007, 02:32 AM
My e6750 is about £110, so it will be cheaper in the US...

Its a great processor, but if you want the best performance you will need a motherboard that supports the 1333 FSB.

Jamie Nixx
08-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Thats the ace up my sleeve WM, that mobo i suggested does, so its alllllll goooooooood :D

Buckwh34t
08-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I am definately going the E6750 route.

I have a noob question for you guys. Is this a 64bit system? I am pretty confused on what a 64bit vs a 32bit system is. Does it only have to do with what processor you are using (if so I dont see that info on the spec sheet)?

Jamie Nixx
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Yes its the processor and operating system, the reason you probably won't see it on the spec sheet is because all new CPU's nowadays are 64bit

It doesn't mean you have to buy 64bit windows or vista, it just means the CPU supports the 64bit system.

Have a look at this mate, its AMD 32bit vs 64bit, but the principal is the same for all processors, you shouldn't be worrying as i have said all CPU's nowadays are 64bit.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1665

I woudn't suggest gettin a 64bit operating system though, not very good.

The Wise Monkey
08-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, you may have difficulty getting the drivers for 64-bit OS.

I'm still using my 32-bit XP Pro from when it first came out. :D

Buckwh34t
08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Jamie you have been exceedingly helpful. I am gonna have to name my first computer after you.

Jamie Nixx
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Chuffed :o :D

Any probs building give us a shout;)

Rob
08-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Indeed, Jamie, it's a delight to have your knowledgable and energetic presence on the forum! Thanks for everything you do. I know I speak for many.

Jamie Nixx
08-20-2007, 07:02 PM
:o Now i am embarrased :p

Cheers Rob for the kind words.