PDA

View Full Version : Video card problem in new build

Zacmac
04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Just finished my build and I think i'm having a problem with my video card. First, system specs. Asus z77 sabertooth mobo, coolermaster 800 gold powersupply, i5 3750k processor, evga geforce gtx 680 video card.

Happens when playing Bioshock Infinite, sometimes it works fine, can play for hours on ultra just fine. Other times i have very low fps (5-10). Also i will get some crazy colors and the game freezes. Same thing happens in the benchmarking utility for bioshock. Can make it through a run on ultra just fine with great fps... Run it again on very high and freezes and doesnt make it through.

Temps are fine, its maxes out at around 60c.

Any help is appreciated.

zburns
04-03-2013, 10:04 PM
can play for hours on ultra just fine. According to this statement, you are indicating that the video card works fine on 'ultra'. Even if it works fine just some of the time on Ultra, that proves that the video card is functioning OK 'at least some of the time'.

Assuming the computer works ok for just 'scanning the internet', looking at other websites, etc., and functions other than 'video games', it is fair to say that the video card itself is malfunctioning.

Your motherboard has 'integrated graphics' on it. I suggest you remove the video card, and run the computer video using the on board graphics only. If the new build runs fine without the video card installed for some period of time, then you have your answer.

Zacmac
04-08-2013, 05:32 PM
I RMAed the card Evga said it was a bad card. Now I can't get picture plugged into my mobo. It worked plugged in last night but won't now. M confused

zburns
04-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Last night, you are saying that the onboard graphics worked fine with no problem. Am I correct?

I do not understand your statement:
Now I can't get picture plugged into my mobo. Your cable from the monitor should have a plug or an adapter for your plug that will fit the video plug(s) on the back of the mobo in the rear of the case. Will the monitor cable plug with or without an adapter fit the mobo on board graphics plug at the back?

I think I can get access to your manual for the motherboard and download it, but it will be tomorrow am before I can get it done.

Your manual should have a short section on using the onboard graphics; it should be a simple step by step process. Just do not 'force' anything. All your plugs that fit the back side of the motherboard should 'engage' very smoothly and easily. Your manual should be clear on how to use the on board graphics.

Zacmac
04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
The plug goes in fine. I have it plugged in. I just can't get an actual picture on my screen. It keeps saying no signal. But the other night I plugged it in and it worked fine. It's fine I'll just wait on my card to get back.

zburns
04-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Unless I am reading something wrong, your mobo has onboard graphics. Simply put this means you should be able to use the onboard graphics, provided you have a 'monitor' compatible with the motherboard. If your monitor video line or cord plugs into the back of the motherboard and you get no picture, then you need to look at your manual and see if there is anything you should have done (that you did not do) to get the onboard graphics to work! It has to be something simple.

Several days ago, I indicated I would look up in your manual (available online) and see if a simple solution pops up! Failed to do it, will do so today for sure; however, I now would like to know the brand and model number of your monitor, is it brand new, old or what??? Thanks!!

Zacmac
04-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Yeah that's what's up. I have on board graphics and can't get picture plugged into mobo. It has to be something dumb I've forgotten about. It's a Sanyo dp26649 TV that I use. I've tried different HDMI cables and different tvs to see if they were the problem and get the same "no signal" result. It actually worked one time and I shut it down and can't get it to work again. My new card will be here tomorrow. I guess I'll have to break my hard headed ways and see if I can find it in the manual.