PDA

View Full Version : Case Help

SiAScORCH
03-08-2013, 05:25 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376

I was looking at this case and I really want it, but I wouldn't keep that 220mm side fan due to the fact I can take off that fan and use the 6 120mm fans, which I would only use probably 4, but I'm worried about a few things. For instance, how on earth would I connect all the fans to the power supply without running out of connectors, do they make a 2-1 connector, or a 3 or 4 to 1 connector? Any help is more then welcome.

Currently I have the Coolmaster Storm Sniper, but they don't sell the direct replacement 200mm fans, so if one failed and I couldn't fix it I would have to send it in to get a new one or whatever, and that's assuming it's under warranty. They sell other 200mm coolermaster fans but they aren't the exact same, and they don't push nearly the same amount of air and you don't have control over the LED's

zburns
03-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello SiAScORCH and welcome to the MySuperPC forums!!

EDIT after the post below! My first comment should have been about the 220 mm side fan. The case designers put that size fan there for a 'technical reason' (I hope). It will have much more CFM than a 120 mm fan. Maybe I can find some reviews that comment on the 220 mm fan. Worse case scenario is that you should call the manufacturer (assuming it is made in the USA), talk to a 'customer service rep' who is a 'good tech rep' for the case; if the first one is not, ask for someone else.

I might can find some info on the net and pass it on to you. But think about this. A 220 mm fan on the side essentially aimed at the motherboard or a good portion of it probably 'really matters' from a cfm viewpoint. If may be a really 'necessary fan' -- I am not trying to sell you on this idea. But the folks that did the design, put that size fan there for a 'technical cooling reason' and they tested it as well as other sizes and 'settled on the 220 mm fan' strictly for 'cooling performance reasons'. So if I were in your shoes on this topic, I really think I would call the factory and discuss this subject at length with an engineer or good technician. The instruction manual (have not looked for it yet) may have some good comments in it, etc..

It should be easy to wire the fans anyway you want it done. I cannot tell you anymore tonight. I need to see some pictures of the case opened up so I can visualize the fan wiring. I also want to read the Tweaktown Review on the case or even possibly look at an 'online' manual of the case. This is simple to do but you want to do it 'in a neat manner'.

I will hunt down the data in the morning and get a post right back to you!! Any urls that help in 'explaining' how to do the wiring will also be included.

zburns
03-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Good Morning,

Currently I have the Coolmaster Storm Sniper, but they don't sell the direct replacement 200mm fans, so if one failed and I couldn't fix it I would have to send it in to get a new one

If there is any component for a desktop computer that should be easy to find, it is 'case fans'. All the desktop computer cases have to meet the ATX specification. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that the ATX spec 'requires' all 'fan mounting holes' in a particular case from a particular manufacturer to meet the ATX specification. So third party suppliers who are not case manufacturers should have fans to meet all or most all 'desktop computer fan requirements'.

If you want to replace a fan, take the height, width, length and thickness measurements and look for a replacement that meets those measurements.

Any manufacturer of desktop computer cases should be able to supply replacement fans; if they cannot or will not supply replacement fans, the 'desktop computer buying public' should not buy cases from them !!!

Closing commnent -- I go back to my first comment. Any desktop computer with literature that states that a particular 'desktop' model meets ATX specs has mounting holes and 'space' that allows fans from different manufacturers to fit inside the case. However, in the process of 'ordering any replacement fan' the purchaser must verify by phone that what he or she is ordering will fit inside his case -- this is just a simple double check -- always ask if the fan meets ATX and get the supplier to tell you that the fan will definitely fit your case which also meets ATX.

That's it -- I am ATXed out!!! Seriously, the above is the way it should be -- since I have not asked Antec or some other mfg questions regards the above, I will do so in the next several days to a week and do another post if I have provided incorrect information on this ATX spec / fan topic !!

The above does not take into account any fan mounted LEDs or LEDs that are mounted to the case in the vicinity of a fan -- the LEDs electric circuitry should be independent of the fan circuitry. Again, I revert back to the ATX specification has specific requirements that force a manufacturer to comply with the spec or the manufacturer cannot 'claim' his product meets the ATX spec.
--------------
One last point to address and that is your quote as follows:
how on earth would I connect all the fans to the power supply without running out of connectors, do they make a 2-1 connector, or a 3 or 4 to 1 connector?
I am pretty sure you plug fans into the motherboard -- which provides 'circuit breaker like trip circuits'; I am not sure that a ATX power supply allows fan hook up because the psu has 'large' ampere trip circuits and not 'small' trip circuits that one finds on the motherboard. So I will research the topic and post back asap today !!

A power supply ampere trip points can be as high as 50 amps and higher. A fan short circuit should trip out in the 'zero to several amps range'.

Here is the url for the Tweaktown article, 8 pages long on the case. http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3851/in_win_dragon_rider_full_tower_chassis/index.html I will look thru it for some comments on fan safety circuits inside the fan and comment back. Note: In the Tweaktown article, I noticed that they refer to taking out the 220 mm fan and putting in 4 or 6 120 mm fans (which is what you commented on, so I will revisit my comments on the fans above)

SiAScORCH
03-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Thank you for your posts.

The 200mm fan they sell isn't the exact same, which the quality seems to be lower and you don't have control over the LED which I know is stupid but that just shows me that it's not the exact same fans. It will fit, yes, but I want to stick with the original.

Also the reason I wanted to go with the 120mm fans is because I have the 38mm thick Scythe Ultra-Kraze fans on the H80 right now, so with where the fan is on the sniper I managed to trim a bit to get it to fit, but this wouldn't be the case with Dragon Rider. Plus when I watercool my 680 with the arctic hybrid thing, I can use one of those 120mm mounts on the side to mount the fan & self contained water cooler so it won't cause any issue.

zburns
03-10-2013, 09:43 PM
When I was writing the long post above, I was concentrating on the 220 mm fan and did not understand that you were 'contemplating' putting 4 or six 120 mm fans in place of the one 220mm larger fan. That is a lot of small fans to put up with over some 'years' of use. Can you find a forum where there are users of this case and look for a comment from an actual user of six or four of the small fans?

You can use the large fan and measure the temp inside at several locations and repeat the measurements using the smaller fans. If the factory supplied all these fans, they should be able to tell you under what conditions you should use one or the other!!

SiAScORCH
03-11-2013, 02:16 AM
When I was writing the long post above, I was concentrating on the 220 mm fan and did not understand that you were 'contemplating' putting 4 or six 120 mm fans in place of the one 220mm larger fan. That is a lot of small fans to put up with over some 'years' of use. Can you find a forum where there are users of this case and look for a comment from an actual user of six or four of the small fans?

You can use the large fan and measure the temp inside at several locations and repeat the measurements using the smaller fans. If the factory supplied all these fans, they should be able to tell you under what conditions you should use one or the other!!

Well it has the space for htem as well as the holes, but I can't seem to find anybody who has this case and their tech support is horrible. I called three different times and got two different people which barely spoke a word of english so I'm pretty sure they didn't understand what I asked.

zburns
03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Sorry to hear about the customer service. Couple of comments. What country are they in? Does not sound like the US or the UK.

Here is a URL for a Google page full of companies that do computer component 'reviews'. Please take the time to read the majority of them. See what the consensus is!! Here is the URL: https://www.google.com/search?q=IN+WIN+Dragon+Rider&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS475US494&aq=f&oq=IN+WIN+Dragon+Rider&aqs=chrome.0.57j61j60l2j0l2.1570&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I did read a review by Tweaktown and it was very good. Here is the url for the Tweaktown review: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3851/in_win_dragon_rider_full_tower_chassis/index.html

You talked to folks with an accent, which may put them at a consumer 'confidence' disadvantage. I am not trying to sell them to you. You might ask to speak to the manager. Look into how long in business, etc..

All the reviews on these two sets of urls, that you have now at your disposal, is perhaps the 'most reliable source of recommendations and information you will find'. My opinion, most professional reviewers are brutally honest about the products.
-------------
I am not trying to redirect your choice, but if you want to look at the top computer enclosure product line, take a look at Antec: http://store.antec.com/Category/enclosure.aspx