PDA

View Full Version : PC build under $1000

gmata
01-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Hello,

I finally decided to build my first desktop computer. I have a maximum of $1000 dlls to spend not including the monitor and O.S. I will be using my HDTV as a monitor.

I would like to be able to play games like flight simulator with highest graphics possible, also i occasionally edit some videos of my GoPro using Sony Vegas, so i would like to be able to render the videos much faster. Other than that i don't put to much heavy load on my current PC.

Please help me build the best PC under $1000

Thanks!

gmata
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Ok so i Found some parts please let me know if this would be a good setup or what would you change?

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz 309.99 or the Intel Core i5 3570k be enough to save $100 dlls
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H 129.99
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $40
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 3GB GDDR5 289.99
Seagate Barracuda 1TB $75
Corsair TX650 $90
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $29

Also what about the Dell XPS 8500

Intel Core i7-3770K
2 TB
32 SSD
AMD 7770
12 GB Ram
Blue Ray
Mouse
Keyboard

For $999

zburns
01-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Hi gmata and welcome to the forums,

I will look at your list in the morning and post back. I will also look at the specs on the Dell and try to compare to your proposed build. If you read Mark's post today on his just finished build, you will see that he feels there is a lot to be gained in the way of 'knowledge' and satisfaction if you do your own build. I agree with him.

zburns
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi gmata,

I apologize for this very late reply. The reason it is late is that I am unsure in how, exactly, to respond to you. Here is the url for the Dell xps 8500: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8500/pd.aspx?&ST=+dell%20+8500&dgc=ST&cid=247622&lid=4318352&acd=svP1sIwki#!stoneId=&overrides= If you will click on this url, you get four custom models for the Dell XPS 8500; I looked mainly at the $ 1099 version because it was the most expensive and one can assume, it is therefore their best 8500 model. With only one or two exceptions, all components are Dell. You can look up the specifications for these components and, I guess, compare the Dell specs to the ones you list in your 'Super PC build list'; however, it would be hard to compare, particularly since Dell does not even mention a motherboard on the page that the above url pulls up.

Regarding your list of components for the MySuper PC build list, your RAM listing indicates 8 GB of RAM for $ 40.00. This implies that you only plan to use one stick of RAM and not the minimum of two sticks recommended for motherboards with Dual Channel RAM slots. Otherwise your lists works.

My closing observation is that from your post, I get the impression that you are 'torn' between doing your own build and getting 'a sure thing' in the Dell XPS 8500. Dell has a great reputation; they have been supplying desktop computers for a long time. If you purchase from them and need service later on, they will have to provide it thru some 'service' network they have some control over. And you will pay for that service. You might be able to call them up for advice on service and even get parts from them -- you should find this out if you want to go the Dell route -- that is 'exactly how do they provide you with service and parts' down the road.

If you decide to build your own computer, part of that reasoning has to be 'that you want to learn, in detail, from the build' just what components go into the computer; how they interact, etc.. It is also a 'fun event' and one you should learn a lot from and get experience to repeat the build process some years down the road, as technology advances. You must have a real interest in 'wanting' to do your own build; if this interest is not there, I suggest you go the Dell route.

If you do your own build, you should make an effort in the future to continue to learn from the build by 'keeping up with advances in the various components and the software technology' that goes into a desktop computer.

Based on what I have said in this post, feel free to ask any questions. I have not tried to 'sell any ideas' to you. I am just trying to 'read between the lines' and give you the best advice I can render!

gmata
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Hello Zburns,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I decided to build my own computer i think you are right it would be tons more fun. I went with pretty much that setup but i got the 2 X 4GB ram a corsair 180 SSD and the Asus P8Z77-V LK LGA1155 mother board. Can't wait to put everything together.

zburns
01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi gmata,

I think you made a good decision. One comment not mentioned thru this 'thread' is the use of a static wrist band worn 100 % of the time while assembling the computer. Rob has some comments in his build instructions on using the wrist band. In addition to the strap or band that goes around the wrist, there is a apx 3 foot wire with a built in apx 1 meg resistor and an alligator clip on the end of the wire opposite the strap. You clip the alligator clip to a good ground point on the case all the time while doing the assembly. But also use the strap and clip to the case anytime you are sticking your hand inside the case either for assembly, adjustments, etc.; any time you stick a hand inside the case. Never allow the power cord to be plugged into to the case when using the wrist strap clipped to the case.

EDIT: Important Safety Rule: Before ever putting on the wrist strap, always make sure the power cord is unplugged from the case -- this is a MAJOR SAFETY RULE -- Please do not forget!!! .

Any questions about the wrist strap or using one, just ask. The purpose is to prevent the accidental discharge of static electricity that can range from several hundred volts to several thousand depending on 'conditions'. Winter and cold dry climates are ideal for potential static discharges to occur. You electronic components and circuits can be sensitive to voltages less than 1 volt dc and higher. Again static easily occurs in the several hundred volt range and can also easily occur in the 1000 volt plus range -- it is a more serious issue in the winter.