PDA

View Full Version : Asus 7750 dual monitor best option

luciasar00
01-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Hey guys,

I'm running an Asus Radeon 7750 on a windows 7 rig, and I'd like to hook up a dual monitor setup. I'm not doing any gaming or video work of any kind - I'm using the two monitors so I can look at art reference while painting w/ photoshop. But I'm not sure what best way to hook up the system is - the 7750 only has one DVI port and apparently most DVI splitters just duplicate the image across the monitors rather than extending the desktop? [So sayeth amazon, anyway.]

I'm out of my depth here and don't know much technical information about DVI & VGA. Does anyone have hardware recommendations they could share? The two monitors I'm using are both VGA & DVI capable but are not identical in size or resolution. Is this even possible with just the 7750?

Thanks!

RickyTick
01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
You should be able to use a splitter to extend your desktop to two monitors. It works for me.
Or you could use the HDMI connector possibly

luciasar00
01-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Can you recommend the piece of hardware you use? Is it VGA or DVI? I just want to make sure I get the right one.

zburns
01-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Finally found something that should directly solve your problem. Please read thru the entire post before clicking on any of the links. I found the Microsoft article last but 'other interesting and applicable articles as well'. I give you the urls for them also. It is a several year(s), maybe five to six years old topic, consequently a lot of 'old articles' out there.

Try this URL from 'Microsoft at Home': http://www.microsoft.com/athome/organization/twomonitors.aspx#fbid=XAICEbv-YF_

Note that this Microsoft article is dated 2012 (bottom right corner copyright mark, which means it was at least 'reviewed' and presumably updated, if necessary, prior to the copyright mark being applied)

The last section of the article specifically is titled: 'Extend your displays.'

Note: In the Microsoft article near the top there are two 'click on' arrows that expand the discussion. Definitely click on them; they are necessary.
-----------------
Here is another article, same subject, but older and updated, and talks about Win 7: http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/feature/Installing-and-troubleshooting-multiple-monitors-for-Windows-7
-----------------
Here is a Wikipedia article on the subject that may have something useful; at least it is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor
-----------------
AMD article that list the various series of AMD graphics cards and how many monitors can be hooked up (not sure that this would refer to a low cost gpu card tho)
-----------------
My comments:

1. This is a simple subject that I found very confusing when trying to find data on it. I found the Microsoft article last -- just depended on how I 'referenced' google: run dual monitors windows 7

2. If you google 'splitter', you will find comments (Tom's Hdware and others) that associate 'splitter' with just dividing the signal into two parts that give identical signals for the same images but on multiple monitors.

3. I put in the AMD article because it gives you a lot of interesting data on this subject of multiple displays, particularly, the large number of displays that can be added depending on the video card.

4. Probably, the most important comment You have a low cost Asus GPU card, I believe. Here is the URL for the Asus Card you have: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD77501GD5/

Here is the Card part # HD7750-1GD5 and the important specification that matters: AMD Eyefinity™ technology extends your viewing landscape across multiple monitors.

I see no reason why you cannot run the two monitors as you are planning to do! I was worried about the low cost of the video card, but that feature statement about 'extends your viewing landscape . . ' locks it in for you.

Sorry for the length. Everything you need to know should be in the Microsoft Article. All the other stuff is 'interesting background' to help understand it all!! Good luck! Do not hesitate to ask any questions.

zburns
01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Google the Asus card, go to Specifications. Under outputs you will have the following four available outputs, one of them via an adaptor:

Interface:
1. D-Sub Output : Yes x 1 (via DVI to D-Sub adaptor x 1)

2. DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I)
3. HDMI Output : Yes x 1
4. Display Port : Yes x 1 (Regular DP)

HDCP Support : Yes

Accessories:
1 x DVI to D-Sub adaptor

(My comment: Item 1 is an output via the D-Sub adaptor. Item 2, 3 and 4 are the actual output plugs on the back of the video card. HDCP is part of the video software or circuitry. The accessory is the supplied 'adaptor' for item 1, I presume.)

zburns
01-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Your question regards: 'The two monitors I'm using are both VGA & DVI capable but are not identical in size or resolution.'

I do not think this is a problem. But what is the size of each monitor? Also, please provide the 'brand' and size of each monitor, ie. 18", 20", 22", 24", etc.. If you are on the metric system, provide the data in centimeters. Also, approx the year in which they were purchased.
------------------
Monitor sizes: Let's say one monitor is 24" and the other 22". Assume both monitors are 'widescreen', then the image on the 22" monitor would be slightly smaller than the image on the 24"; smaller image goes with the smaller monitor. If the latest monitor is both larger and widescreen, and the other monitor is smaller and 'not' widescreen, the smaller monitor image would be 'even smaller still', I think, but no way to be certain without more research or just trying it!

RickyTick
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
If your using one monitor as your main work monitor and the second one just for an open email or web sites, then it all really doesn't matter a great deal. However, if you plan on moving things back and forth a lot between the two monitors then you'll want them both to have the same pixel pitch, or at least very very close. In a perfect situation, both monitors would be identical and everything would be seamless.

luciasar00
01-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Monitor 1: 20 inch HP W2071d, LED, VGA and DVI input
Monitor 2: 20 inch HP 2011x LED w/ VGA & DVI.

I thought they were different sizes but I was wrong - I didn't have them both with me until now. I'm not really worried about how seamlessly they interact anyway: what I'm doing is Photoshop artwork, using one monitor for the painting canvas and the other for art reference pictures on a web browser/picture view window.
What I think I'm going to try is an hdmi to DVI cable in addition to the normal DVI port and see if I can make that work. I just can't find any confirmation from the splitter reviews I'm reading that they will work properly with an extended desktop. So I'll connect monitor one via the hdmi to DVI, and then monitor 2 just via direct DVI, and see how that works.
You were correct in identifying my graphics card, and it does come with a DVI-VGA converter which I think is just for people who have VGA only cords or monitors or some such.

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll post if the above works or not once I get a chance to try it.

zburns
01-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Here is another Windows address that specifically 'helps' for 'Dual Monitors' in either a 'Duplicate' or 'Extend' mode: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976064 Here is the title of the article: Guided Help: Dual monitor setup is easy in Windows 7!

Has a 2013 copyright so it is current!

zburns
01-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Luciasar,

Here is another URL from Microsoft on Win 7 and multiple monitor setup: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Move-windows-between-multiple-monitors This link may be the most useful. Would also like to know from you which link was most helpful.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

luciasar00
01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi again, sorry for the late reply. I ended up getting a HDMI to DVI cable, attached to one of the other ports on my graphics card and it's working out great. I'm using the free version of Display Fusion to get some utilities with the linkage, but like I said I'm mostly just using it to pop a photo viewer window over there and look at art reference while sketching on my tablet.
Thanks to RickyTick for suggesting the HDMI cable instead of the splitter. Zburns, in particular I'd say that first link to http://www.microsoft.com/athome/orga...id=XAICEbv-YF (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/orga...id=XAICEbv-YF_) was nice since it showed a dual monitor setup using two different types of cable - that's a really simple concept but at first I wasn't sure if it was viable and a lot of sites just kinda skim over it. The duplicate vs extend link was useful too.

Thanks again guys!