PDA

View Full Version : Computer Freezes Up

Ploxbar
08-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Well after building my new PC and getting everything set up, my computer has been working pretty well. However, sometimes I get random freeze-ups where my keyboard and mouse are all non-responsive. Now I know this isn't really a "first boot" problem, but I couldn't really find any other general troubleshooting sections. The freeze-ups can occur at any time, but usually happen after I use my computer for some hours. Sometimes it may be while I'm in the middle of a game, or just browsing the web. After it freezes up, I have no alternative but to manually push the button in order to turn off my computer. If I turn it back on it will usually freeze up in about 15-30 minutes, but if I leave it off and come back to it later it doesn't freeze until maybe a few hours. Another strange thing I noticed was that one time when I turned on my PC a few hours after it froze up, my computer clock was off by some hours, displaying a random time.

At first I was thinking it was an overheating problem, since all the symptoms have to do with the system being too hot. However, after downloading a temperature-monitoring program, it doesn't seem like it overheats. According to SpeedFan, my temperatures for the motherboard and CPU remain in the mid 40's (Celsius). My HDD is right next to the fans, so it stays in the mid 20's. The hottest part in my system is my GPU, which my Nvidia Monitor program shows runs from about 55-60. Not to mention my case is an Antec 900. However, the information displayed might not be that accurate, so I'm not sure...

So now I don't know if its still the overheating problem, or if I have a bad part. I've removed and put back the CPU a few times already, and haven't noticed any bent pins or anything. Does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong or suggestions as to what I should try?

Here's what I run on:
* Case - Antec 900
* Mobo - Asus P5N-E SLI
* CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
* PSU - OCZ GameXStream 700W
* RAM - Corsair XMS2 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM (2x 1GB Dual Channel)
* GFX - eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320 MB
* HDD - Samsung SpinPoint T Series SATA 400GB 7200 RPM 3GB/s
* DVD - LiteOn SATA CD/DVD+/- RW

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jamie Nixx
08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Thats an almost identical setup to the one i have, which is why i suggested those parts to you a few weeks back.

With the Core 2 duo cooler and that case, your CPU should average about 28DegC and your GPU should hover around the 47DegC mark considering it is an 8800GTS.

The CPU is the last thing that would cause a problem like this, so STOP taking it off before you damage it.

I have had similar problems like this and they were driver issues, mainly the new driver that was made for that mobo, i had to re-install windows to erradicate the problem.

I doubt its an overheating problem, that CPU can hit 60DegC before you encounter problems, and as for the GPU, that can hit well over a 100DegC before exceeding its threshold, plus you have the best case for cooling probably ever made.

My thoughts are

Ram problem, i don't mean compatibility problems as i have that ram with that mobo in one of my Rigs, i mean faults.

A driver problem, if the problem persists, i would do a fresh install of windows, delete any partitions made, format the whole thing ect ect ect.

If that sounds a bit too drastic, check all your connections, DO NOT take your CPU off anymore, push all the pins around your CPU cooler hard so that they click in a criss-cross motion.

Ploxbar
08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Can you explain what you mean by RAM faults? Do you mean like bad RAM, where I should send in for replacement?

Anyways, I'll try reinstalling Windows and reinstalling the necessary drivers.

Jamie Nixx
08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Yes i mean faulty Ram as in damaged, some programs can actually fix faulty Ram but considering Corsair XMS2 comes with a lifetime warranty its not worth it.

Re-install windows, but USE the motherboard drivers that came with your motherboard on the disk when you have finished, do not download the latest drivers as there is a fault with the latest one that causes the problem you are experiencing.

Also install the GPU drivers that came with your graphics card.

Then run a 48hour break in test.

If the problem persists the only thing i can think of is a faulty component.