PDA

View Full Version : Rob's recommended build - slight variation - question

quinolin
01-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Hello,

I am a new member to the board but have been following multiple threads here for a while. I am definitely impressed with the valuable and very detailed feedback provided by various participants on this forum, and that's why I decided to join ;-)

I plan to follow Rob's recommendation (current as of 1/1/13 (http://www.mysuperpc.com/)) and purchase the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4GHz (quad-core), and Crucial M4 128GB SSD to upgrade my existing rig. The additional upgrade I consider is on the RAM side. The suggestion is the 2x4GB Crucial PC3-12800 DDR3 sticks. I would like to get 16GB though. And those would run ~$120. So I looked around and found Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB sticks for ~$80 (Amazon link here (http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10/dp/B006EWUO22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357155549&sr=8-3&keywords=corsair+vengeance)). I believe that those are compatible with the MoBo, but could someone more knowledgeable than me confirm this, and indicate if those are comparable (or not?) to the Crucial ones? If I should stick with the Crucial, should I look into 4x4GB or 2x8GB?

Last but not least...although more than 2 years old, I am still pretty happy with my 2 x 1GB GeForce 9800GT (in SLI mode), but if someone wants to try to "convince" me why I should upgrade, please feel free to do so :-)

Thanks in advance for any feedback for RAM and GPU. And if you have any other recommendations with regards to MoBo, CPU or SSD, please let me know as well.

Cheers,
Quinolin.

zburns
01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Hi quinolin and welcome to the forums,

Your build choices look very good for a mid range 'build'.

Just a couple of comments, maybe questions right now, more comments tomorrow; I want to call Crucial about your RAM.

One question right now, the cpu is unlocked so it can be overclocked, and, I assume you will want to do this; please confirm.

Regards the gpu cards, Ricky Tick is a much better expert on video cards so I would think he would comment. My only comment still regards overclocking; if you do it, I would think you would want to see the limitations using the present cards when OC'g which might help in deciding on how much to spend on an upgrade -- keep you from going overboard on two cards.

More tomorrow!!
---------
Here is a url for 'Overclock Intel i5-3750k'; looks like several good articles on the topic: this url: https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Overclock+Intel+Core+i5-3570k+&oq=Overclock+Intel+Core+i5-3570k+&gs_l=hp.12..0i22.15811.23115.0.26107.11.8.0.3.3.0. 63.386.8.8.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1j2.0pKkiPaaWy0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU&fp=6eb1946313ccd7d2&bpcl=40096503&biw=1728&bih=1002

RickyTick
01-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Why hold yourself back with a 9800GT when newer cards run more than twice as fast, and offer DX11, Physx, and tessellation. Even 2 in SLI don't compare in comparison to a GTX660 Ti or Radeon 7950.
Read through this.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_9800_gt_vs_geforce_660_gtx_review,1.html

quinolin
01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi quinolin and welcome to the forums,

Your build choices look very good for a mid range 'build'.
Thank you.

Just a couple of comments, maybe questions right now, more comments tomorrow; I want to call Crucial about your RAM.
Wow, that is awesome. Thank you :)

One question right now, the cpu is unlocked so it can be overclocked, and, I assume you will want to do this; please confirm.
I am considering OC'ing, but it's not a necessity per se. If I don't care about that feature, any suggestions for other CPU?

Regards the gpu cards, Ricky Tick is a much better expert on video cards so I would think he would comment. My only comment still regards overclocking; if you do it, I would think you would want to see the limitations using the present cards when OC'g which might help in deciding on how much to spend on an upgrade -- keep you from going overboard on two cards.
Good point there.

And thanks for the link; I'll check it out.

Cheers - Quinolin.

quinolin
01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Why hold yourself back with a 9800GT when newer cards run more than twice as fast, and offer DX11, Physx, and tessellation. Even 2 in SLI don't compare in comparison to a GTX660 Ti or Radeon 7950.
Read through this.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_9800_gt_vs_geforce_660_gtx_review,1.html

Thank you for your reply Ricky.

Great points, and exactly what I was looking for. And, coincidently, the GTX660Ti (the GigaByte version, ) is in my shopping cart on amazon already. That was the one I had my eyes on if I chose to replace the 9800's. So your recommendation and definitely reading that article just made my decision easier :)

quinolin
01-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Hi zburns, I found a very similar build on another site where the guy is using the same MoBo (GA-Z77X-UD5H), with an i7-3770k, GTX660Ti, and RAM configuration (Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3 240 Pin DIMM Memory CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) I am looking at. So apparently those RAMs are compatible.

Link, if interested: here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/70530-slugnets-video-editor-ga-z77x-ud5h-i7-3770k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.html)

So, my final build is GigaByte GA-Z77X-UD5H MoBo, with i5-3570k quad-core 3.4MHz, 2x8GB Corsair Vengenace RAM, GigaByte GeForce GTX 660 Ti, with the Crucial m4 128GB SSD. Total cost on amazon: ~$900. I'll use my existing case, PSU, hard drive, and CD/DVR combo to complete my system.

thanks to zburns and Ricky for their feedback.

zburns
01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi quinolin,

Sorry to be this late in responding. I did talk to Crucial late this afternoon. My question had to do with the highest OC frequency the Crucial RAM would go under overclock conditions. His answer was about 2100 GB. Your motherboard will go to 2800 GB. Oddly enough, he said all the Crucial RAM maxes out about that frequency. I feel like something was missing in the conversation; was not totally pleased with the information.

I did review the Crucial website on your Crucial RAM choice. The one item I saw that can be important is that Crucial RAM has specific voltages dependent on the cat # chosen. Those voltages are 1.35, 1.5 and 1.65 volts.

I would stay away from 1.65 volts altogether and would prefer 1.35 volts if available. The Corsair RAM you picked is 1.5 volts.

quinolin
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the update, zburns, and thanks for taking time to call Crucial about their RAM. Much appreciated!!

Good info on the importance of cat# for their RAMs with regards to voltages. I'll do some more research on both options. Going back to the OC question you asked the Crucial guys, is OC'ing RAM really that useful other than maybe raising some benchmarks? Is there any practical benefit to doing it?

Thanks again!

quinolin
01-03-2013, 11:23 PM
how about this Crucial RAM 2-pc set? link here (http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=64D1F134A5CA7304). It's 1.35V, and guarenteed to be compatible with the Z77X-UD5H MoBo.

zburns
01-04-2013, 10:28 AM
I think that is your best choice because of the lower voltage. Here is why! Prior to Sandy Bridge, cpus were vulnerable to voltages exceeding 1.6 volts; this 'damage level' was due to the micro distance between circuit elements of the cpu. 1.6 volts was the maximum safe voltage coming from the RAM to the cpu.

One could easily conclude it was better to have even a lower voltage just to be sure and safe. So I think this is why you see the RAM voltages of 1.35 (best), 1.5 and 1.65. 1.65 being the upper limit.
--------------------------
Now that Ivy Bridge writes a new chapter in smaller cpu circuit 'footprints', the requirement for voltages lower than 1.6 volts exists. With Ivy Bridge, that input voltage threshold has been lowered to about 1.1 volts (my memory). The voltages above of 1.35 or 1.5 or 1.65 are the voltages applied across the full stick of RAM -- they are not the input voltages from the RAM to the cpu. The voltage from the RAM 'fed into the cpu' is some number between 0 and 1.35, 1.5 or 1.65. But if lower is better, it is best to start with 1.35 instead of 1.65.

Three or four years ago, overclocking was done by the enthusiast on his own. It became obvious to the mobo and cpu manufacturers that they should intervene and 'present' more 'organization' to the 'overclock' process. Three or four years ago when overclocking was totally left up to the user, it was easily possible to damage a cpu and presumably a motherboard, thereby, causing 'returns under warranty' to the manufacturers.

It was obvious one could damage a cpu with overclocking; not sure that the mobo was really that vulnerable.

But anyway, the cpu and mobo manufacturers got together and the end result is the present product lines which incorporate a degree of control and instruction by the manufacturers on overclocking.

quinolin
01-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your feedback on the RAM choice and the background of RAM over-clocking. I certainly didn't know any of the history, so thanks for sharing :-)

zburns
01-04-2013, 06:56 PM
quinilon,

Please be certain to use a static wrist band clipped to your case at all times when handling components, when installing the components inside the case and when putting your hand (s) inside the case to do anything from tightening a screw to screwing down the motherboard. The wrist strap typically has a one megohm resistor built into wrist strap right at the cord that goes to the case.

Winter weather, particularly very cold air is the ideal climate that allows generation of static electricity.

quinolin
01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi zburns,

I have this (http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=BLWRISTSTRAP) in my cart with crucial ... :)

Thanks again for all your help & advice. I'll report back once I have my parts in and put things together ...

Cheers. Quin.

quinolin
01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Quick update from my end:

I ordered the RAM with Crucial, and despite no indication to this affect on their website, I received an e-mail from them today saying that the item is out of stock and that they won't be able to ship for 7-10 days. I checked on the website, and there is still no hint that the item is not in stock. So anyone else who wants to order this RAM will think they'll get it soon, only to receive the same e-mail I got a few days later ... On my end, I canceled the order and ordered the same RAM with newegg; they have it in stock and I'll have it by Wednesday. And, it's even cheaper there ... LOL

Another negative experience with them (crucial) is that they put 2 holds on my bank account for the same order, both in the full amount ... that is just unacceptable. I sent a semi-nasty e-mail to their support and asked them to fix this immediately....will call them tomorrow afternoon if that hasn't been fixed by then, and I would not be a happy customer on the phone.

zburns
01-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear about the problem with Crucial. Surely they will respond to your request. Did you get some sort of 'cancellation code or number' from them, or, at least the name of the individual you were talking too? Let us know when it is all 'worked out'. Keep us posted!!

quinolin
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
update: crucial accepted my cancelation and I got the same memory from newegg for less money next day. they also corrected their screwy holds on my account after a day or two.

Everything set up and running smoothly. Thanks for all your comments, feedback, and recommendations along the section process. Much appreciated!!

Cheers, Quin.