PDA

View Full Version : SATA SATA ll connection

Xxichrisx
12-26-2012, 04:10 AM
I am planning on buying a blu ray drive for my pc and it says it connects with SATA ll. Would thisi be compatible with a normal SATA port on my mother board?

zburns
12-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Take a look at this URL on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA Scroll down about 2/3 from the top until you see this topic: Sub title: Backward and Forward Compatibility. Look at the last subtopic entitled: 'SATA 3 Gbit/s and SATA 6 Gbit/s' and you will see this: SATA 3 Gbit/s and SATA 6 Gbit/s are compatible with each other. Sata II is 3GB/s max while Sata III is 6GB/s.

If you are buying a new drive, buy Sata 6 Gbit/s, but get some assurance from the 'store' or call the manufacturer or better still, read the manual the new 6 Gbit/s drive comes with and look in the new drive manual -- if it is a new drive in a box, the manual is your guarantee that it should work. You do need to know the motherboard Sata I, II or III speed.

Thought of something different. Old computers tended to have PATA drives in them. Sata came later. So I would suggest it is mandatory that you know that your motherboard has 'Sata' plugs and what category plugs I, II, or III.
-----
The above is a simple subject, but with 'lots of noise around it'!!

EDIT: Regards your present computer, you should have a manual of some kind or a specification sheet. Whether you have Sata1, Sata2 or Sata3 on the motherboard or the new drive, there will be part numbers or someway visible to determine the correct version of the Sata plug or the device. The portion of the Wiki article I mentioned above should tell you 'yay or nay' if motherboard and new drive will work together -- ie: compatibility!!!