PDA

View Full Version : Does a rebuild make sense????

easulli
12-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Hey Guys,
First off I have very little knowledge of computers but am quick learn.

I have an old desktop (Gateway E-6500 with 2gb Ram and 3200 mhz) that has run its course.

I'm an architecture student that needs a high powered machine to run AutoCad, Photoshop, SketchUp, Revit and Rhino.

Should I reinvest in this old computer and build it to meet my needs?

The only reason Im considering a rebuild is bc I am low on cash and am trying to do this for about as cheap as possible.

Thanks for your help.

RickyTick
12-16-2012, 01:32 PM
You'd be better off building a new system.

easulli
12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
You'd be better off building a new system.

RickyTick, I checked out ur recommended cheap builds.

Do you think any of these could work for me? Are there any parts from my old PC that could be retained to save $$$?

Thanks

zburns
12-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Are there any parts from my old PC that could be retained to save $$$?

If you have a manual on your Gateway computer, look thru the beginning of the manual and look to see if the GATEWAY specs mention 'Meets ATX specifications. Here is the url for the Gateway E5-6500D computer and no mention is made of ATX on these specs that I can see. Here is the URL: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/E6500/1008487/1008487sp3.shtml

It is possible the hard drive (s) could be reused provided that the power cable and Sata drive cable meet todays 'type of plug' spec. If the plugs fit the ATX spec, then you might could reuse them. It is better to start 100 % fresh with all new components. I do not know how old the GATEWAY is, but you take its age into consideration and then consider the fact that the 'current hard drives' are a better 'breed' of hard drive than going back some five years or so. Same rules apply to your DVD drive. If it meets ATX spec, you could reuse it, and the plug(s) have to match todays current ATX specs.

Hard drives can be purchased for around $ 75 and DVD drives around $ 25 or less.