PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H and MSI GeForce GTX 660 Video Card PCI 3.0

Rob
12-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I’ve upgraded My Super PC and it now includes the MSI GeForce GTX 660 video card. I wanted to mention that the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H I originally acquired some months ago came with BIOS version F7. This BIOS version does not support PCI Express 3.0 video cards like the GeForce GTX 660. It’s easy enough to flash update the BIOS from Windows using the utility that comes on the Gigabyte CD. After doing this the BIOS version is now F14 and the video card works great.

But what was happening with BIOS version F7 is that the computer would not post. The red LED display on the motherboard showing the debug code displayed a value of 97, which, according to the motherboard manual means “Console Output devices connect (ex. Monitor is lighted)”. Seriously, that’s the explanation. Doesn’t really clear things up much, does it? Well, what it comes to is that the computer can’t see the video card. In this case, flash updating the BIOS fixes the problem.

Like I said, it’s been some months since I purchased my Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H. The BIOS version F14 is dated 8/23/12. The BIOS version F7 that I replaced was dated 5/11/12. Hopefully, any Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H purchased today would come with the F14 BIOS or later already installed. But I don’t think there’s a way to tell until it actually boots into the BIOS.

And there’s the rub. If you’re PC configuration includes a PCI 3.0 video card and you have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H with the older BIOS then it won’t post, so there’s no way to flash update the BIOS with that configuration. Although there are workarounds, like you could temporarily use another PCI 2.0 video card just long enough to flash update the BIOS, which is what I did since I was replacing the GeForce GTX 560.

Hopefully this is not an issue anyone will run into. The places I recommend to buy computer components sell a lot of them, so the pipeline of motherboards with older BIOS versions should have cleared out by now.

quinolin
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I am about to make a plunge and get me the same MoBo and the (GigaByte) GTX 660 Ti. I suppose chances are that I might run into the same issue you had. If I understand you correctly, I should probably start the PC with my old GPU (GeForce 9800GT), get the BIOS upgraded to avoid any potential problems, and then switch to the 660Ti. Correct?

BTW: I noticed on GigaByte website that they are now up to F15, although that is a beta-version. It supposedly improves LAN compatability.

RickyTick
01-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I would suggest you verify what BIOS version you have before attempting to flash it to a newer version. If it's already on v14, then leave it alone. I wouldn't advise flashing to a beta version.

quinolin
01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
But I should probably install the old GPU on the new MoBo, boot up and check BIOS version first, right? If it needs updated, do it, and if not shut down and put the 660 Ti in. And yes, I'll stay away from the beta version...

RickyTick
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
You can do it this way, or you can boot it without a video card at all since the cpu has integrated graphics.