PDA

View Full Version : 3D BIOS settings for my SSD, HD and CD drives - I'm missing something

492commish
12-04-2012, 11:03 PM
First, my system:

>Antec Sonata III 500 Quiet Super Mid Tower ATX Case (Black)
>Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, BIOS F14, s/n 124200011572
>Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4GHz (quad-core) (using Intel CPU cooler)
>Crucial Ballistix 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800
>Using motherboard built-in video and audio
>128GB Crucial m4 SSD
>Western Digital RE4 1000GB 7200rpm SATA 3
>Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW

I want to store Windows 7 and my frequently-used M/S Office software on the SSD drive, and store all of my files on the HD.

Here's the situation:

I hooked up power and plugged in SATA cables for all three drives. With my understanding, it doesn't matter which SATA ports on the M/B these are plugged into. The only exception is that if I used a 1.8" mSATA drive in the special socket supplied on the M/B, I then can't use the SATA2 5 connector. (I'm not using this 1.8" mSATA option)

When I tried the second boot, the SSD did not show on the 3D BIOS; the CD and HD drives did show. I experimented with moving the SATA plugs around, and with the next boot try, the SSD and CD drives showed up, but not the HD! I went to another section of the BIOS menu, and this menu showed all three in their respective SATA ports. I went back to the first menu, and the HD still didn't show up.

I loaded Windows 7 onto the SSD drive, which went well. Upon trying to do a boot, I found that I had to go back in and configure the priority for boot drives. Once I made the SSD the top priority drive, it booted up fine, although it wasn't as fast as I would have expected. Seemed like it was about the same speed as a hard drive, to be honest. Maybe I still don't have it configured correctly? Or was I dreaming that it would increase the boot speed?

Anyway, after loading Windows 7, I went to "My Computer" and it doesn't show the hard drive.

I know this is likely a BIOS setting, and maybe even a Windows configuration/setting. I'm pretty sure it's 'operator error'. But I don't know where to begin. The Gigabyte manual is pretty good, but as simple as this "3D BIOS" seems, it is different than the BIOS screens I've dealt with in the past and I'm not sure where I go.

Any ideas?

Phil in Sherwood, Oregon

zburns
12-05-2012, 08:47 AM
I assure you that you are more of an expert on your BIOS, and, using the SSD plus the HD in a 'co-operative' manner than I am. Just make sure you have followed BIOS instructions in a precise manner according to the Gigabyte manual; also, check for updates on the BIOS as of this date. Worry about 'My Computer' last, when you are certain of your BIOS configuration.

When you are confident you are at the point where you are fairly certain your BIOS is properly configured, and, 'My Computer' still does not 'spell out your configuration', stop at that point and call Gigabyte Tech Support in Los Angelus. Assuming the phone number for USA tech support is LA, try that number.

I have called them a number of times in the past (not called in the last year); two folks that I talked to their go by names of Chang and John. Try to talk to Chang; he always explained things quite clearly to me! But when you call, be prepared to tell them specifically that (1) you have followed the manual regards the BIOS 'exactly' with no deviation and (2) be specific about the Windows 'My Computer' configuration.

Hopefully, they will respond with 'exact' recommendations regards the specific problem, but what they tell you can be somewhat 'quite dependent' on what you tell them. If possible, I suggest you have your 'boot' screens written out in the same format they appear on the monitor.

I always regarded the help I received from the Gigabyte LA office as excellent in all respects. I could even leave my number and Chang would call me back. Just very co-operative folks.
----------
Looking at the above differently. Check to be certain that there are no Windows 7 updates that have not been applied that would be the cause of the problem!

492commish
12-09-2012, 11:17 PM
zburns,

Success! This one is kind of a technological version of "try plugging in the thing first..."

Anyway, Windows did not "see" my hard drive (even though the BIOS did see it), because the disk had not been initialized nor had it been formatted! Nothing was there to offer storage for Windows, so Windows didn't see it!

Anyway, I got all that taken care of. I added another 1 TB hard drive that I already had (I shouldn't have wasted the money on the one I just bought), and now I have 128 GB of SSD, and two 1TB hard drives! I'm a storage fool!

Next step is to load Office software, my anti-virus stuff, and then I'm in business. That is, after I improve my home WiFi system.....

Thanks for your help.

- Phil
Sherwood, Oregon

zburns
12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Your second sentence about Windows not seeing the HD because it was not initialized or formatted is 'good info' to remember regarding 'new builds'; it is excellent info to have for future reference -- so I saved the entire sentence for later reference as a future reminder.

Good work. Give us a final post when complete!